Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Aloha,
Need repair advice please! 2012 Tandem Island mast receiver popped during during 15/20 knot session. After removing mast receiver assembly, loosening turnbuckles to loosen v-frame base, I observed slotted set screw had pulled out of hull molded brass nut. Unable to re-fasten set screw. Brass nut that looks to be molded into the hull stripped out. The set screw did not shear off so nothing to remove from the brass nut, nut just stripped.
Question: Has anyone used larger O.D. set screw after re tapping stripped brass nut? Original set screw is slotted and looks to be 1/4-20. Wondering if replacing it with 5/16-18 slotted or hex head set screw will do the trick.
Any feedback or repair suggestions appreciated
Mahalos
Brandon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sheared the v-brace screw last Fall. I tried to remove it myself, but couldn't. The local machine shop did it in about 15 minutes, and charged me $20. After my experience, I'd highly recommend taking your boat to get fixed by a pro. That said, have you looked at Helicoils? https://www.mscdirect.com/product/detai ... lsrc=aw.ds

Another possible option is to fill the hole with JB weld, and re-drill and tap it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Aloha,
Mahalos for your shared experience and advice. TI's been dry docked for a year so time to try a fix. We have no Hobie certified repair on Kauai so I'll attempt to fill with JB Weld, drill, re tap to original OD, and see how it holds. if not I'll give the helicoil a go. Thanks again, let you know how it goes!