Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, not sure where to put this thread.

I'm interested in building a beach dolly. There are none used in my area (northern Maine) and they are $700+ new.

I've been reading various threads on this forum, beachcats, and others, but I am having trouble finding an up-to-date thread on this.

Could someone point me to the latest thread please?

Looks like the best solutions out there are a 1.5" pipe/axle through hard dock wheels
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Patriot-Doc ... /203225134

Or, if I could find a wheel hub (if you have any ideas for this, please let me know), the cat trax tires can be purchased inexpensively:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Patriot-Doc ... /203225134

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Buy a piece of 2" aluminum tube .065" thickness and find some used cat trax wheels. You want the big foot print and relatively lightweight of those wheels

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I built one with 2" aluminum tubing and dock wheels. I glued plugs in the openings in the dock wheels. Tubing from metalsonline.com and dock wheels from Mill's Fleet Farm. Cost about $250 to build them. I got some kind of clamps from McMaster Carr that fit the tubing to hold the wheels in place, surprisingly expensive. You could figure out something cheaper.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dorienc wrote:
I built one with 2" aluminum tubing and dock wheels. I glued plugs in the openings in the dock wheels. Tubing from metalsonline.com and dock wheels from Mill's Fleet Farm. Cost about $250 to build them. I got some kind of clamps from McMaster Carr that fit the tubing to hold the wheels in place, surprisingly expensive. You could figure out something cheaper.

I was thinking about using some big washers with a pin behind them to hold the wheel in place, side-to-side.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobiecowboy wrote:
Buy a piece of 2" aluminum tube .065" thickness and find some used cat trax wheels. You want the big foot print and relatively lightweight of those wheels

I agree, but there are no used cat trax where I live (Downeast, Maine)

I found the big fat tires, but i think cat trax makes proprietary wheels for those tires; can't find wheels anywhere. might use dock wheels (~$40 each).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

55 gal plastic drum with 2.5 flange bearing on each side, 8ft pipe though the center.

Plastic tires smaller than this will build up a pile of sand in front of them and become hard to push and you'll clean it out every 5-10 feet. That's based on my experience at lake Erie with hard yellow tired cat trax.

If you have riding mower kicking around, the rear end can be used. Make a small frame to hold a cross bar. Here's one powered by 24v scooter motor

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Now that's the bomb! If it really worked...

Next step - find a way to attach it to the back of your trailer so that it travels very nearly ready to go so you can drive your boat off the trailer to the water's edge...

Kind of complicated, but that kind of inventing is half the fun, right?

Love it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's the only video I got of it, jump 40 sec into it. First version had two cross bars and no handle. #2 I added the handle to make it like a wheelbarrow and nicely balanced . I started one that could use the handle at each end because when on the beach, it's hard to get under the rudders but easy to go in at the bows. Also thought an RC controller would be a nice add on. I used 2x4 to load it in my truck but one friend carried his on the trailer under his 18.
We got a new launch site in Conneaut OH where we can back in to the water, drop the boat, pull forward 15 feet and you're parked, we're all side by side so this has just been sitting in the garage. I'll pass it on to anyone that want's to pick it up in New Brighton, PA.

79' H16 Green Lightning