Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi gang, I finally picked up my new (to me) 2004 Getaway and it appears to have the wrong mast bottom section. This was one of those "buy the boat off a guy who got it from another guy" deals and I knew I'd have work to do to get the boat ready for the water. I was told it needed a comptip and now that I've checked things out, I think I have a Hobie 17 mast. It fits on the step ball but the sailfeed slot is near the very bottom of the mast and there is what I believe is called a "rotation arm" attached to the base assembly. If I can use this (with an appropriate comptip) that's okay with me. Otherwise, I can probably track down a Hobie 16 mast for a whole lot less than a Getaway mast. How tough is it (if even possible) to retrofit a 16 mast to my Getaway. He also couldn't find the jib. Anybody got a spare Getaway jib they're looking to pass along?

Thanks, Bill in NH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My 2002 Getaway mast broke and I replaced it with an old (pre comptip) H16 mast. I think this is a good replacement option if you are wiling to do a little work. The old mast is stronger and lighter. I just picked up a 2019 Getaway and I notice a big difference in weight raising the mast on the new boat (with comptip).

Here is the thread on my mast replacement:

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=58652

The pictures don't show up in-line for some reason, but if you right click and open the link in a new tab it should work.

Good Luck!
David

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sweet. I'll check it out. Yeah, looks like a 16 mast is the way to go. I think I'll pick up a cheapie 16, fit up the mast and give away most of the rest of the boat! Thanks!