Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

So I'm super new to sailing and I just acquired a used Getaway. I'm trying to figure out how to properly rig the jib. I understand the furling drum and all. I am confused on how to I tie off the grommet on the head of the jib to the forestay. Is there a halyard that is needed for the jib? Or is there a specific length of rope needed to keep tension on it?

Also Is there a specific line needed to tension the luff tension? I saw in the video a small line to do so. Where do you tie if off? I can't find any clear instructions in the manual that I have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello,

As you said, just simply tie off the grommet on the head of the jib to the forestay with a small length of rope.
You could see in this video the small black rope that comes with the boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWBSySwXRtA

As for tension, I just connected the forestay to the front crossbar and the mast, while the mast is laying horizontally on the boat with someone pushing the mast base to keep the forestay wire tensioned, so I could tie the rope with little tension with Half Hitches to the forestay wire.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can make the jib luff tension somewhat adjustable as well as allow yourself to move the jib forward and back (up and down). The reason you might want to do this is to get better performance in light wind or depower on days when it is honkin. You will need to buy a long skinny dyneema line (2-3 mm is plenty strong) and thread it through the luff pocket alongside the forestay wire. Then it goes through the ring on the top swivel and ties off on the jib head. A high strength small block (or bigger ronstan shock) will make it run smoother. At the bottom you go through the furler pin and back to the jib tack ring. As you can see, you can now tension as much or as little as you want as well as position the jib higher for light wind days or lower for heavy wind days. Most folks don't want to bother, but I like fiddlin with boats. I can say that having the jib higher for really light stuff makes the boat more lively on the zephyr days like I get in the winters.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for your responses! Much help, and I'm sailing away!

Jake