Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So the other day, a friend who just got his own Getaway and I went out solo sailing, each of us on our own boats. He's new to the Getaway, but not to Hobie sailing since he's a prior 16, 18, and Miracle 20 owner. Anyway, neither of us had ever experienced righting the Getaway single handed. I must say that the Getaway is FAR more buoyant on it's side than any previous catamaran I've ever tried to right. Using the Hobie righting line, my 275 lbs hovering parallel inches over the water surface was NOT enough to right the boat even with a BabyBob supporting the mast tip at the surface. My question is, has anyone devised a method or device of hooking up lines or other to gain a better mechanical advantage or better utilize one's weight more efficiently? Like maybe setting up a line from the wing seats to pull out in case of a blowover. My buddy mentioned that he and other sailors on their Miracle 20s and such would use a mast shroud extension that could be released on the shroud adding a foot or so and increasing the angle of the mast in relation to the hull. I've also seen people talking about righting poles although I've never seen one designed for the Getaway. I know a lot of you guys have far more experience than myself with this boat so I was hoping to learn from you. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/R0dOw ... 0-h1462-no

At 275 it should right pretty easy. I am 185 as as long as I turn the boat so the sail is in the wind, ( at a 45) the wind will get under the sail & right pretty easy. If my 120 pound kid gets on with me it will right whatever direction we have it facing.

I keep a righting bag underneath in the lacing but never tried it. I always thought about over the wing as well for a little more leverage but haven't tried that either, I might worry that even though you would get more leverage that its more likely the pontoon comes down on top of you rather than you ending up under the tramp. Steve C.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Very interesting. I never would have believed that wind direction would have played that much of a part in it. I guess I need to get back out there and experiment with it. Truth be told, I had a hard time having any influence on the boat in the wind. I was doing my best to maintain a hold on it while drifting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I swim out to the mast end, and swim it around so the mast and forward hulls form a V with the wind coming in between them. I think the wind pressure on the tramp helps a lot to right it. I'm about 200#, and the boat comes right up.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jquRq ... 8-h1244-no

This is from hobiecat.com, (their sailing, parts & accessories store) If you can find a quiet out of the way shallow place to play around with it that would be ideal. My kids love capsizing, wife hates it. know that in a real case scenario it can be scary if your capsized & wind is blowing you towards rocks etc & you need to right it right now. Steve C.