Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I mounted a Torquedo T1003 motor on my Getaway with two batteries. My problem is that there are no caps on the battery connectors (power and control) and the connectors of the spare battery are therefore exposed. I contacted Torquedo and they do not have caps, but they indicated that Hobie might for the Torquedo system it uses. However I searched through the catalogs to no avail.

In order to be thorough, I'm looking for the following sizes:
M12 x 1 for the control connector on the control head (standard male cap)
M12 x 1 for the control connector on the battery (odd cap with thread on the outside, goes over the actual connect but screws into the surrounding guard)
M25 x1.5 for the power connector on the battery (standard male cap)
M25 x 1.5 for the power connector on the drive unit (odd cap with the threads on the outside)

That such a expensive device that is intended to be used on the water doesn't come with such basic protection baffles me. The charging connector on the battery has a rubber cap that "somewhat" fits over the connector and is hardly waterproof (or even water resistant). I've already had issues where the power or control connectors get some oxidation and prevent the motor from starting. I've been keeping an old toothbrush and Qtips on the boat to clean the connectors, but I'd rather be keeping the connector dry in the first place.

Does any one know where to find such caps?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:37 am 
Site Admin

For the evolve kit we made to adapt the Troqeedo 403 to our Kayaks...

https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/PA_Torqeedo_Parts_Diagrams.pdf#page=2

https://www.hobie.com/parts-and-accessories/?q=72021&hPP=20&idx=ItemGroup&p=0&is_v=1

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Fantastic! You guys rock! I'm contacting my dealer right away to order these...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well... not quite perfect. Here is the scoop for anyone wanting to protect their T1003 power connections. They are apparently different from the power connections of the Torquedo Evolve - I say apparently because I haven't seen the Evolve, but what I know for a fact is that the caps sold by Hobie for the Evolve power connections: p/n 72021128 (Cap Assy Power Plug Male) and 72021120 (Cap, Pwr Plus, Female v1) do NOT fit the threaded power connections of the Torquedo T1003.

Note that the control connections are identical between the two motors and the caps sold by Hobie (72021124 and 72021123) fit perfectly :-)

Thanks Hobie for making these caps available as leaving such electrical connectors unprotected on a boat is not a good idea. Hobie, can you let us know who your supplier is for these caps - I'd like to reach out to them and find out if they have the caps I need because I haven't been able to find them on the Internet.