Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mast dropped onto ball
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a new experience yesterday. When I raised the mast, the front shroud didn't reach. I moved the mast around and I think it finally dropped a little onto the ball, then we could connect the front shroud.
I guess I didn't have the ball fully seated it the mast when I put the pin on, then raised it.

I never noticed this before, does this mean the connection has deteriorated, I should replace the ball and/or mast bottom?
Or does this happen if you don't seat the ball all the way in?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Maybe the mast pulled up as you raised it. Got wedged in the pin. That might explain why is suddenly dropped in. Be careful to keep the mast at 90 degrees when stepping. Also be aware of the direction of load... avoid lifting the mast away from the ball.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

sorry Matt, I see I never answered you. That may be what happened - ball got wedged in the pin.
There are some scrape marks on the inside of the mast base. It is 2005 equipment, so pretty old. I am thinking of, to be safe, just replacing the ball and mast base.
Is the new mast base simply pop riveted on to the mast, or is there more involved?
Thanks!
Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had to replace mine. Instead of the supplied pop rivets, I screwed it into the base with ss screws (my pop riveter gave up the ghost while I was trying). There's no real load, it is just a fastener. The SS screws will create their own threads in the casting or you can get self tapping.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

sounds good. I do have a good riveter, so that should be easy then.
How is your Sea Rail working out? That looks like a great boat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SeaRail is drier than a Getaway; faster than a getaway; more stable than a getaway; points better than a getaway; easier to sail single handed; I like not having to hook the halyard when hoisting the mainsail. BUT, it takes about an hour longer to go from trailer to sailing. That's a lot of time wasted. SO, pro's while sailing; cons to get ready for sailing. And, of course, costs twice as much.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I will look over the SeaRail again online. I liked what I saw earlier. Would you mind a few dumb questions?

Would most of the setup issues be gone if you were able to leave it setup on a trailer, or do you still have time consuming tasks re extending armas?

Do you feel like the armas make it pretty hard to capsize in any reasonable amount of wind?

Are there conditions where the above isn't true!?

Enjoy that boat!
Jeff in NH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't mind the questions, but the hobie forum moderator might take a dim view of talking about non hobie products.

I've had the boat 3 years now so I've taken out all the time wasting steps. It just takes that long. Mast raising is straightforward. But you have to rig spinnaker before launch-that takes up time. After launch you have to unfold-that takes up time. Adjusting shrouds, takes time. removing mast raising gear...jib setup, mainsail raising...it is a good 2 hours to get from trailer to sailing, no matter what you do. I do it alone but having crew would not speed it up much.

There is a searail 19 owners group (google group) that wannabe's can join. I run it if you have any other questions.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The getaway is indeed a quick setup, that is true. I think if I really focused I could actually get from driving to rigged and on water in about 10 minutes, I do have my crew help a little bit handing the mast up to me - the first few feet, removing straps, etc.

I appreciate the info, I am interested in future in a larger trimaran. Enjoy.