Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reglue mast
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I purchased a getaway (2001). Prior owner kept mast in 2 pieces for easy storage. I do not like it as it keeps a small wiggle room that does not keep mast straight and overtime can wear and tear more to the point I assume of braking.

After talking with a hobie dealer I foudn that they sell the epoxy to glue them back which will fill any gap and will keep everythign more stable.

HOWEVER I can't finy any videos on how to do it. I assume I simply clean surfices and apply... but if you have any advises on what to watch out, please let me know.

Once I epoxy them , I can't really fix it back

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Reglue mast
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Pretty simple. Clean it up. Tape off the ends of the extrusion and the Tip to catch drips. Block the luff track with tape. Place the mast on saw horses or tables. Base of the mast against a post or tree. You may need a battering ram motion to get the Tip to set all the way in. Apply glue to the inside the extrusion and the outside of the CompTip. Slide the parts together. If you need to, while holding the CompTip you pull back from the tree then bang the mast base against the tree/post. The inertia drives the CompTip into the mast. Repeat if necessary.

Then you have to make sure the mast is in alignment. Sight up from the mast base to see left/right or fore/aft alignment. Once set, brace the mast in position (luff track up) until the glue cures. Clean up the glue and remove the tape when the glue is starting to set up.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: Reglue mast
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This video helped me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZRvd2M0DWg

I did it last summer if you have any questions. It's held up well so no complaints.