Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think you would have to modify your motor mount since according to the chart the eprop is extremely long shaft at about 25 inches. As a comparison, my honda was only 15" shaft length and the motor body was nearly swimming. I had to modify the cheeta mount board to raise it about 3 inches to use the honda.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My apologies if this is off topic, but since we were getting into outboards a bit, one thing about carbureted outboards is that you cannot use gasoline with an alcohol additive. When the gasoline evaporates from the carb jets, a solid is left in the jets orifice that clogs them. There are no chemical additives (I have tried them all on a fleet of boats where I was in charge of the maintenance) that work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm fortunate that I have access to non reformulated gas. You wouldn't be using that much, maybe by the fuel in a can from Home Depot?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Re the Torqeedo.
So, I was sailing earlier this year. Put the motor on, but didn't use it, favorable winds so I could sail away from and back to the dock.
When I returned, the throttle handle had fallen off my 2012 1003! Just came unattached.
I ordered a new rubber grip and throttle tube, about $25, plus $20 shipping. I called Torqeedo, they said to glue it on with a 2 part epoxy. So it's repaired now. But wow, that's pretty flimsy construction. I might put a pin in it for some positive mechanical attachment.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

David Morgan wrote:
My apologies if this is off topic, but since we were getting into outboards a bit, one thing about carbureted outboards is that you cannot use gasoline with an alcohol additive. When the gasoline evaporates from the carb jets, a solid is left in the jets orifice that clogs them. There are no chemical additives (I have tried them all on a fleet of boats where I was in charge of the maintenance) that work.

You can still use gas from the pumps, you just have to run the fuel out of the carbs after each use--you have to flush them anyway with fresh water if you sail in salty. I do the same with my lawn mower and power washer (had to install a stopcock in the mower gas line though).

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II