Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have enjoyed sailing my Getaway for the last 8 years. Now I would like to add a Torqueedo motor to allow me some to explore some fishing options that go beyond what I can do by sailing alone.

I am considering the Torqeedo 1003 which is approximately a 3 hp engine, but might consider the slightly smaller Torqeedo 603 which is a 2 hp equivalent. Either one will have to be mounted with a Cheeta motor mount. Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations about which motor is better for a Getaway?

I am leaning toward the 1003. Even though it is 5 lbs. heavier and $700 more, I would like to err on the side of having more power than not enough. Currents near me can run 2-3 mph and I might fish areas where it is even greater. No problem while under sail, but with a motor, I don't know.

Does anyone have experience with a Torqeedo (or other motors) on a Getaway?

TMR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used a honda short shaft 2.3 hp. Worked fine for years. Half the cost, longer range, no charging between outings...I tried a torqeedo but didn't like it...noisy (fingernails on chalkboard) gearbox in the one I had.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

From what I understand, the gearbox models (1003. and 503) are discontinued for 2021, and Torqeedo has moved to direct drives in the form of the 1103 and the 603 models. The famous whine was apparently a feature of the gearbox models, but I understand the new direct drive models are essentially silent at low revs and far more quiet at higher revs.

From the UK, but this has some info:

https://nestawayboats.com/shop/torqeedo-travel-1003s-1103cs/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As far as power, 2 HP should be all you need on this light boat. I use a trolling motor, 55 lbs thrust, and can do 3 mph or so against stiff wind. I had a 3.5 hp on a heavier daysailer and never went above half throttle, didn’t need it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You might also want to look at a epropulsion Spirit 1.0. Just received mine and working on an attachment across the back between the hulls. Really not a fan of hanging that much weight out on a Cheetah bracket and rivets.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those rivets are pretty robust. Similar to the rivets that hold your hound to the mast so the mast doesn't fall down. 40 pound motor with a 2 foot lever arm is a lot smaller load than 8:1 mainsheet pulling over 20 feet lever arm. Just sayin'...

But I'd still opt for the other engineering solutions on this forum for hanging a motor off the back. Cheetah works OK and is certainly light enough, but the clever guys on this forum have done better than a Cheetah.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh geez. Stand by for a long post.

I've had the 1003 since 2012, on my Getaway. I had it originally on a Cheeta bracket, then built KeithB's bracket which I like better, but which MAY have introduced a problem (more on that later).

1. 1003 or 603, based on horsepower? I think it depends on your usage. If you are just putting into and from a pier, the little one is fine. I originally had my Getaway on Lake Michigan, and I wanted something with power and range. I once had to strike my sails and motor through big waves and high wind back to port when a storm popped up, I was glad for the power. If I were buying a new one, I'd get the 1103, it's supposed to be quieter, not that the 1003 is real noisy, but quieter would be even better. There isn't a lot of difference between the motors in weight or price, so I would opt for the most power.
Speed? At full power, it'll do over 6 or 7 knots. I think I saw 10 knots once, but may have had a tailwind or just misremembering.

2. Cheeta bracket? Here's the design Keith came up with. I built it and sold my Cheeta. https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... otor+mount
The Cheeta bracket held the motor low, so the prop would bounce. I put a bungee on the bracket (photo is in that post somewhere) to help stop the bounce. Keith's bracket holds the motor higher, and I think it looks better, And it cost about $120 to build vs $500 for a Cheeta.

BUT...here is something that occurred to me today. I took my motor in for factory service (more on that later) and they said the tilt bracket and transom clamps were damaged and needed replacing. OK. Here's what I think happened. The Cheeta holds the motor in it's own down position, and the Cheeta arm rotates up to lift the motor out. Keith's bracket requires tilting the motor on it's own tilt mechanism out of the water. That holds the prop higher, but I think the stress of sailing with the motor on it's tilt mechanism damaged the motor.

3. The weight of the Torqeedo battery tilts the motor to it's side. If you look at the photos in Keith's post, you'll see that I have straps on my motor mount, to hold the motor in place. I put those on the Cheeta, and on Keith's bracket.

4. Lifespan of Torqeedo battery. I have a post about this already. Basically, the original battery on my motor wore out after 9 years. Torqeedo gives people a trade in on their old battery depending on age, towards upgrading to the bigger battery. My 2011 model was worth 40%, so I'm getting $280 trade in of a 530 wh battery toward the $999 915 wh battery. According to Torqeedo, the battery is good for 8 to 10 years.
I only charge my battery 2 or 3 times a season, so it is a lifespan based on time, not charge-discharge cycles. I thought the battery would last forever based on my light usage, but apparently not.

5. Service of the motor. Torqeedo told me the motor should be serviced every 5 years by the factory. Fortunately I live within an hour of their Crystal Lake, IL center, so I don't have to ship. I took it in, servicing would have been about $100 for new seals, but they found the damage, and it came to $226 including repairs.

All in all, I'm happy with the motor. I wish the battery had lasted longer, but it worked out to about $70 per season for "fuel". So, not terrible. And it's nice not having to deal with an internal combustion motor. It starts instantly, can get drenched and still work. And they have a cool new dongle for it that uses the built in GPS to bluetooth to your phone and presents motor stats and navigation!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am going to look into the Torqeedo1103. Bought the china made honda 2.3 two years ago & found it to be the most unreliable gas motor I ever had. There is a few other electric manufacturers out there, I haven't taken the time to research.
Anyone have any experience with other brands? Thanks, Steve.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not saying this is for sure what is happening with the Honda, but mine was also unreliable when I first got it. Issue for me was I loaded too much oil into the oil reservoir. The wet sump oil motors seem to be finicky about even a tiny bit too much oil (had the same issue with my Suzuki 2.5). The other (perhaps related) issue was the vent cap didn't allow venting fast enough. So when I tried restarting after a sail and unscrewed the top vent, it wouldn't start until after I had taken the gas cap off (equalized pressure), started and then put the cap back on. YMMV

Once I drained an ounce of oil out and drilled a slightly bigger vent hole, motor was as reliable as any other honda product.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While we are on the subject of electric outboards...there are LOTS of electric outboards on eBay being offered from china at very cheap costs. HOWEVER, they do not include the battery. Once you look into the cost of the battery (and know that it will have to be mounted somewhere on the boat since it is not integral to the motor), you will quickly understand why torqueedo charges so much for their outboards. Typical 48v 50 AH lithium battery is around 2000 $US.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks tpdavis73, honestly I am probably a millimeter above the center on the bubble window. I will drain a bit. I will try removing the cap & put back on to see if that helps as well. Where on the cap did you drill out for the vent? Thanks, Steve.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Once you get the cap off you should be able to further dissassemble the cap and inside see two or three really tiny pinholes. I just redrilled those a little bigger--don't really need the drill, just twiddle with the drill bit (like if you redrill the holes on the jets on your gas stove or outdoor grille to get a bigger/hotter flame). The holes are so tiny that the water viscosity plugged them and kept air from getting to the tank. The motor does get quite a lot of splash (see vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BdhwtSThN0 )

As far as oil goes, I had it so it barely was visible in the bullseye when cold. When tilting when not in use, I also took care not to lay it on its side. The cheeta was good for that since I used the cheeta tilt and not the motor tilt. Gotta admit it'd be nicer if things weren't so finicky.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got it. Thanks, will try to get it more dialed in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just got my motor and upgraded battery (915 wH!) back from Torqeedo, I'm fortunate that their main US office is only an hour from my house.

I also got the TorqTrac dongle and the app for my phone. IMHO, it is an amazing system. The tiller on the motor has a display with state of charge, speed, power consumption, and remaining range displayed. The dongle bluetooths to my phone, and shows all that PLUS uses the GPS on the motor to access a navigation app! I'll upload photos as soon as I get some screen shots.

Oh, and the new battery came with a USB connector so I can charge my phone from the motor battery if need be!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Something else to consider for those looking at Torqeedo… I have no personal experience with ePropulsion.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=67901

Peter