Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help - sail repair
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I could not fuel jib in high wind (30-35kt).... got caught in a storm , beached it quickly but furling system does not work on high winds ... mid part of the jib keeps flapping (any advice?)

Finally We dragged the boat till we could protect it behind a dune with some bushes - and with a bit less wind I could furl jib

Jib ripped from flapping too hard ... specifically the plastic transparent part ripped a few inches... any advice on how to repair it?

It is plastic I assume...

Post subject: Re: Help - sail repair
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:01 am 
Site Admin

A sail maker can replace a window for you.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Temporary (so you can still sail for a while in less than storm conditions) repair can be made with good quality duct tape. Suggest the product Hurricane Tape Duct Tape which is used in Florida to protect windows for a hurricane. It is available at Amazon. If that is too ugly, Westmarine sells an aramid/kevlar self adhesive tape that is made for temporary repairs from Bainbridge. Insignia cloth will also work https://www.sailmakerssupply.com/produc ... /sailcloth . Make sure you clean the surrounding area before trying to apply the tape and let dry completely. I usually apply on both sides of the rip.

I would have expected the leach to be torn and not the window.

But the best fix will be taking to a sailmaker.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you -

Is it normal that the mid and top part of the jib does not furl in extreme winds?

only bottom would furls

with normal winds I have no issues.

thank you,

Paolo

PS . I think the window broke because it was the most exposed part

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are pulling on a string at the bottom of the sail. So the torque applied has to be transmitted all the way up to the top of the sail before the top swivel starts to turn. So there is less force to furl the top than the bottom and it starts furling later. Also, the wind is stronger the higher up you go. Consequently, it is not surprising that the top of the jib doesn't furl well in bigger winds. You can try some things to help yourself out. First, sheet the mainsheet very hard--what that does is pull the mast back so there is more tension all along the forestay. Then head to wind (go into irons), so that slows the boat and makes the apparent wind slow down. Keep tension on the jib sheet and Furl then; it will work better because the increased tension in the forestay will transmit the torque up to the top of the sail faster.

If you are sailing downwind and you want to furl, I suggest you turn upwind first. If you must furl going downwind, head the boat ddw and let the mainsheet all the way out until it is plastered on the shrouds and blanketing the jib, keep tension on the jib sheet and furl--it won't be pretty, but it should work out.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II