Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello.

I'm a new Hobie Cat 14 owner.

I'm really struggling with raising the mast solo. I have a system involving wench, stabilizing cables, gin pole, etc. that works just fine. However, I find myself in situations where being able to raise the mast using my own strength would be really helpful.

I'm a single 53-year-old woman whose upper body strength is limited. I have no help.

Is raising the Wave's mast any easier?

Thanks,

Jenn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buy an inexpensive, adjustable speaker stand. Something that will raise to maybe 6 or 7 feet in height. You can concoct a "Y" cradle from PVC pieces to fit on top that will hold your mast. Set the mast base on the base and pin it. Lift the mast onto the speaker stand, which should be just off the stern of the boat. This will effectively put the mast in a starting position that doesn't require you to bend over and lift from a dead start. It will now already be at waist level or so.

You can use the mainsheet halyard to run forward to a pulley on the trailer mast storage post and back to you on the H14. You'll want a cleat on the fore beam or mast to run the mainsheet through. Now all you have to do is lift the mast the rest of the way, keeping the mainsheet in your hand and cleat it off once you have the mast all the way up (or anywhere in-between).

Technique matters as much or more than brute strength. Either way, I think once you get the mast up off the rear cross beam and elevated to a point where the heavy bending and lifting is negated, you'll have a much easier time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you, Tom.

My question remains, is the Wave easier than the Hobie 14?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I doubt it. Unless you take the Wave off the trailer and step the mast with the boat on the ground. But you can do the same thing with the H14.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wonder if it might be easier because of the ball it sits against as opposed to the step link which which offers less leverage that the solid ball. I really struggle raising the mast on the 16 which uses the same system as the 14, but can raise the mast on a getaway, which leverages against the ball like the wave. I don’t know that it will be a lot easier, but I suspect it is similarly a little easier.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is your 14 mast all aluminum, that is, no composite tip? If so, it's probably easier to lift that mast than a Wave with a comp tip.

I can lift an all aluminum 16 mast by myself, but cannot lift my shorter Getaway comp tip mast by myself. Close, but not quite. I used to lift a longer H17 comp tip mast by myself, 30 years ago...

I've got a (no doubt) similar gin pole system as you have. I use my trailer winch, as I'm sure you do. But I've heard of people using their main block and mainsheet from the forestay bridle so they can step the mast with the boat off the trailer. I almost tried that the other month to lower my mast at a dock after I discovered the halyard tangled, but opted to trailer it off instead.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know it doesn't answer your question, but I did something that may be helpful. I started trailering my H16 backwards. The angle and balance point of the mast on the forward support make it a lot easier to step.

1978 Hobie 16

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, the wave mast is 2’ shorter at 20’ I have a cut down older 14 mast and it’s all aluminum so I’m not sure if the newer wave comp- tip mast is heavier, I trailer my wave stern in front and can leave the rudders on in the down position and while the boat. is still strapped on the trailer, I have about a foot to the back of my pickup cab to the bob when I move the mast back to ball step then raise the mast against the shrouds, I hook the forstay and done, I guess this way is easier because the mast 3’ up in the mast holder to start the lift Best of luck on your sailing days

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have always kept the rigging attached and with the shrouds in the top holes of the adjusters, lift it up and on to the mast step. Now that I have a little more age on my shoulders, I use sticky gloves to offset my lack of strength. It is best done on the trailer so the bottom of the mast can be pointed down between the trailer and ground. The mast will be straighter and easier to lift. I've been doing it this way on a 14 and Wave since 1977.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been raising the mast on my wave almost solo for a few years. I find that I can get the mast up okay, but always have a challenge with connecting the forestay to the bridles. You need to hold the mast upright at the same time trying to grab the bridles, untangle and connect them. Having a spare hand for that has been huge.

I find that having a hand with getting ready to sail, and packing up afterwards is best. When I get onlookers looking to help, I always tell them its a 1 1/2 person job to get things together, or put away afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Northern wrote:
I have been raising the mast on my wave almost solo for a few years. I find that I can get the mast up okay, but always have a challenge with connecting the forestay to the bridles. You need to hold the mast upright at the same time trying to grab the bridles, untangle and connect them. Having a spare hand for that has been huge.

I find that having a hand with getting ready to sail, and packing up afterwards is best. When I get onlookers looking to help, I always tell them its a 1 1/2 person job to get things together, or put away afterwards.

Tie the forward end of your main halyard to one of the bow tangs before you lift the mast. Then raise the mast up all the way. Then pull the halyard tight and cleat it off securely at the base of the mast. This will act as a temporary forestay. Then you can jump down and pin the forestay to the bridle using two hands. Finally, release and untie the main halyard - no helpers needed.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
Northern wrote:

Tie the forward end of your main halyard to one of the bow tangs before you lift the mast. Then raise the mast up all the way. Then pull the halyard tight and cleat it off securely at the base of the mast. This will act as a temporary forestay. Then you can jump down and pin the forestay to the bridle using two hands. Finally, release and untie the main halyard - no helpers needed.

sm
+having bridles from standard edition with quick release hooks really helps. I keep forestay pre-attached to bridles, rise the mast with halyard as temporary forestay as mentioned above, than hook bridles.