Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, after 40 blissful years of sailing Hobie Cats off a beach, it looks like I could fine myself in the future having to launch from and store my current boat on a very rocky shoreline featuring a steep bank, probably 10 feet high. The bank is full of riprap, large rocks of about one foot to two feet across ... so not small.

Other issues - straight offshore is north-west so we're facing straight into the prevailing wind and it's about a 6 mile x 6 mile lake .... so we get decent sized whitecaps (one to two feet high probably trough to crest) with a very short wave length. So it's basically BIG chop.

Even launching off a beach, the boat is bucking around pretty good in those waves on a windy day ... so I'm leery of something like a regular boat lift as I imagine the wave action bouncing the boat around and smacking it into the lift.

I thought about some kind of series of PVC pipes around 2x4s with a winch to pull the boat up the bank out of the water but again, I'm worried about the wave action and how I would hop off the boat, somehow leave it bouncing around in the waves while I run up the bank to winch it up. Like I would think it would be pounded against the rocks in seconds, turned sideways and bashed into the riprank on the bank, etc. before I got anywhere near the winch.

Thinking about this keeps me up at night .... so I would love to hear how/if people make these sorts of systems work on a steep, rocky shoreline, or would love any other ideas for a situation like this. Like if we were facing east and sheltered from the prevailing wind and waves, I could see the ramp/rollers/winch thing working .... but facing north-west in those waves ....I worry, I worry.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think people do try to launch from such an inhospitable access.
Can you put in a pier that you could put a boat lift on? Or dig out a more reasonable ramp and launch area?

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

my advice...DONT DO IT! you will damage boat and it just won't be fun

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Could you do a small, low, floating dock?
Then put the dock on a endless loop with pullies, one on shore and the other end out to a mooring buoy/anchor 100 yards off shore.
When you sail in you haul the boat up onto the dock. Then hand over hand the dock to shore, jump off onto the rocks, then haul the dock/boat back offshore.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pretty good idea to forget about it unless you have a good set of beach wheels a a couple of very strong friends to help you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, just noodling the brain here.

A set of rails that go from the bank down into the water.
A carriage for the boat with wide bunks and side rails that will hold the boat in place until you push it into the water.
A mooring buoy just offshore from the carriage.

So, you sail up to the buoy and fasten the boat. Drop the sails, raise the rudders and secure the boat. Hop off the boat (I'm assuming the water is shallow enough. Unhook the boat, walk it over to the carriage, place it on and tie it on with ties that are attached to the carriage. Go up on shore and winch it up.

I just realized that this is the carriage and winch system that the Hoofer's Sailing Club uses in Madison WI for their 18' Badger Sloops. I'll look for a photo of Hoofer's system and paste a link in if I can find one.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have a very similar Rocky shore ledge facing a cove. I am going to try putting in a floating raft of "JetDock" Cubes and submerge the first three rows of cubes and then try and run the boat up onto the raft. I think the Wave only weighs 250 lbs, so hoping we can make that work. If anyone has any ideas for improvement suggestions, please post. Hope to try this in July.