Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an older model Hobie Mirage Sport 2014, which I bought used last year as a demo model. Not crazy about the seat, and I don't believe a upright seat is available, but even if it was, probably don't want to pay the price of one judging by other Hobie accessory prices. So far I've made or installed everything I needed from an anchor system, to a mini downrigger, to a fish finder mount, rod holder, caddy, and made some adjustments to add a hummingbird transducer even though the recess is set up for a Lowrance.

Anyway, has anyone made a DIY upright seat to replace the original seat? It seems I could make one out of schedule 80 1 inch PVC, some 't's etc. and be able to install and remove easily. Just curious if anyone else has, and I might be able to get some other ideas. I have the two scupper holes I could slide in two legs of the PVC bottom and a recesses in the back. I have a lot of experience building things with PVC, and it can be very strong if engineered right.

Anybody?

Was thinking of mounting something like this (stadium seat) to a back and base frame of PVC with Velcro straps. Two pieces of PVC will rum back from the back rest for added support from the pressure of using the paddles just below the back rest the PVC frame will be in the two scupper holes.

Btw does anyone think the arms rests would be in the way? As in get a stadium seat without arm rests?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How to fit a square peg in a round hole?

I think I would look to build a simply ply shape to fit the seat. I would then use an expandable foam filler to make the ply fit the shape of the hull.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yakking wrote:
How to fit a square peg in a round hole?

I think I would look to build a simply ply shape to fit the seat. I would then use an expandable foam filler to make the ply fit the shape of the hull.

Thanks that's an idea!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cecil B. wrote:
I have an older model Hobie Mirage Sport 2014, which I bought used last year as a demo model. Not crazy about the seat, and I don't believe a upright seat is available, but even if it was, probably don't want to pay the price of one judging by other Hobie accessory prices. So far I've made or installed everything I needed from an anchor system, to a mini downrigger, to a fish finder mount, rod holder, caddy, and made some adjustments to add a hummingbird transducer even though the recess is set up for a Lowrance.

Anyway, has anyone made a DIY upright seat to replace the original seat? It seems I could make one out of schedule 80 1 inch PVC, some 't's etc. and be able to install and remove easily. Just curious if anyone else has, and I might be able to get some other ideas. I have the two scupper holes I could slide in two legs of the PVC bottom and a recesses in the back. I have a lot of experience building things with PVC, and it can be very strong if engineered right.

Anybody?

Was thinking of mounting something like this (stadium seat) to a back and base frame of PVC with Velcro straps. Two pieces of PVC will rum back from the back rest for added support from the pressure of using the paddles just below the back rest the PVC frame will be in the two scupper holes.

Btw does anyone think the arms rests would be in the way? As in get a stadium seat without arm rests?

I don't know about the proper DIY seat, but a bunch of cushions would do the trick but I think its gonna much better that you buy one out! :)