Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I finally have my new (to me) 2017 PA 12. It came equipped with; 2 horizontal rod holders, cup holder, cover, anchor trolley(?), and Lowrance w/ battery. But no other rod holders. I have about $200 in the budget for accessories. Looking through the websites and forums, the options for rod holders are extensive; Ram rod holder, Hobie H rail rod holder, Scotty, etc. Any advice on the best use of $200 would be appreciated! A little more info; I plan to use the cover, so want rod holders that can come off easily. I am fishing in Grand Traverse Bay in Traverse City; mostly bass and lake trout (hopefully). I prefer to use the h-rail vs. drilling. Finally, I have considered the need for a saftey flag. The Viscarbon pro will take a big bite out of a $200 budget! Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like you've got enough gear to get you going. Why don't you go fishing a few times and see if you really need any more stuff. After dragging a kayak in and out of the water a few times, you may actually start looking to leave gear at home.

The way the price of gas has been lately, $200 should be enough for gas for at least one fishing trip.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on the new toy.

I frequently fish East Bay in my PA14, targeting salmon, Lakers, cisco or whitefish and occasionally perch. I'm not a bass guy, but suspect that you will be doing cast/retrieve for them. If so, then consider jigging (rather than trolling) for the lake trout. That would totally alleviate the need for "troll-worthy" rod holders and open up the possibility of just using the corner holders on an H-Crate for transporting your rods. Personally, I prefer vertical rod storage to horizontal anyway, since it gives you more cockpit space when dealing with hooked fish, nets, etc.

I do a lot of trolling for lake trout, salmon, steelhead, etc using the Hobie H-rail rod holders. But these are definitely not quick to remove for placement of your cover. The knurled red cam lock knob that fastens the holder to the H-rail always seems to end up jammed tightly against the gunwale, making it a PITA to release the cam mechanism for adjustment or removal. And unless you want to spend most of your budget on gear to get a lure 80-150ft down where the Lakers feed, jigging is a far simpler and very productive way to go out in GTB. Although I routinely troll elsewhere with one downrigger line and one lead core line, I try to avoid that in East Bay where there are such rapid and dramatic changes in depth / bottom structure. The majority of my lake trout from there have been caught with a simple 2oz untipped vertical jig.

Good luck out there - it's a great fishery!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would go with some type of Hobie or Scotty rocket launcher type rod holder mounted on one of the h rail gear head or h rail Scotty bases. That way you can leave the h rail piece and just remove the rod holder. I like the rocket launcher type holders because they keep the but of the rod from getting in the way of the cockpit. I don't like the ram mounts for trolling because I don't trust that they won't slip if a big fish hits.