Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The position of the transducer in my 2020 Outback is such that while vertically jigging in less than 25ft, I cannot see my jig on the sonar unless I use an ice rod.

I'm contemplating using a side arm transducer attachment like I had on my i11s, but that would be such a waste of an elegant design...yet I see no way around it. I have the 3 in 1 transducer for the Lowrance Ti2 7, so I'd imagine it would add considerable drag in the water...but I really need to see my jig on the screen.

Anyone here have a side arm ducer mount on an Outback? Do you use cellblok or individual ram trac balls for the monitor + transducer? How do you manage all the wires?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I feel your pain. In the past I had built an arm like below for my 2011 Outback. I had a small track up beside the front hatch. I used this same arm a few times with my 2019 and it is definitely better for drop shotting and vertical fishing. I made it out of 1" hollow aluminum bar stock. The bolts for the tracks are toilet bowl flange bolts. They are brass and fit perfectly.

The arm definitely adds some drag but I could flip it up when making a long run. However, I rarely did since I just decided that the drag was acceptable to me. When I used this on my 2019 Outback I just put it in the front H-rail. It would be even better if you moved as far forward as possible.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don’t know what transducer you have but I shoot through the hull with mine and can see my jigs in the water column. Mine is mounted in my front hatch. I smooshed it into some electricians duct seal and zip tied it to the sail mast. It works every time and never moves even when I flip my Revolution upside down for storage. Might be worth a try.
~JOE~

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joetrain wrote:
I don’t know what transducer you have but I shoot through the hull with mine and can see my jigs in the water column. Mine is mounted in my front hatch. I smooshed it into some electricians duct seal and zip tied it to the sail mast. It works every time and never moves even when I flip my Revolution upside down for storage. Might be worth a try.
~JOE~

That is a good idea. It moves the transducer forward some. In 20' of water the cone is about 6.4' across (3.2' radius). With a 7' rod (what I use for drop shotting) I am not sure I would have my lure in the cone even then. It would be at the edge of the cone if in it at all. If the kayak is not perfectly level and tilting nose up a little that would point the cone a little more forward but it would still be tight.

Probably the best spot would be hanging off the front. Then one's rod tip would be close to lined up with the transducer and you could see your lure even in 1' down. For me, I decided that the convenience and lack of drag of the sonar shield was worth not being able to see my lure on the screen. Maybe someday I will change my mind but for now I am OK with it.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Joetrain wrote:
~JOE~

Can't shoot through hull with side imaging.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

reason162 wrote:

False.

If you envelop it in a PE mastic ( not silicone ! ) or seal it like Joetrain told you, you loose less than 5% waves power...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

felvic wrote:
reason162 wrote:

False.

If you envelop it in a PE mastic ( not silicone ! ) or seal it like Joetrain told you, you loose less than 5% waves power...

For side imaging? Not buying it, sorry.