Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

a little bit of advice to prospective Lowrance fishfinder-chartplotter purchasers: just because your Hobie comes with a "Lowrance ready" transducer plate it doesn't mean it will only work with a Lowrance transducer...there are plenty of YouTube videos of guys showing how they've adapted their "Lowrance ready" plates for use with Humminbird and Garmin transducers, many of these guys have found out the hard way (like myself) that Lowrance has abysmal after the purchase customer service and tech support, and have switched over to other brands. The Lowrances are great units when they work, but if you have an issue after the purchase, you're pretty much SOL as their tech support and customer service is horrendous...just check on various Facebook fishing groups, fishfinder chat groups, etc. and you'll see all the complaints about their failure to stand behind their products. After several attempts to deal with them with an issue with my Elite TI, (including having to file disputes with my credit card company on parts I ordered through and recommended by them that were returned) I'm done...switching to one of the other brands. You can fool me once, but not twice...prospective buyers; beware!

A question for Hobie: why don't you re-design the the "Lowrance ready" transducer plate to be a universal "all brands" plate, and why would a company like Hobie with a great reputation want to be associated with a company like Lowrance? Honestly, corporate honchos at Hobie you should re-think that decision and distance yourself from them!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a Hobie and was looking at fish finders. I like the Hummingbirds way better. I dont like that we are confined to one brand of fish finder. So I bought a Hummingbird anyway. They make an adapter for the transducer (of course everyone is out) but I'm pretty good at inventing things so I will figure out a way to make it work.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree 100% on Lowrance customer service being the worst ever.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I prefer Garmin for it's ease of use. The Lowrance cover for the transducer used by Hobie can be adapted to house the Garmin transducer as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Don, thanks for the info! I will be installing the Helix 7 Mega SI G3N on my new 2020 PA 12 360 drive!. I saw too many negative reviews about Lowrance to even give them a second glance! Garmy looked OK but nothing close to the Bird! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Agreed, I bought a new Simrad Evo3 for a new flats boat build I have on order. I am 8 months out on the build so in the market for a PA14. I am going to poke around for a Simrad Evo3 7" unit. Lowrance and Simrad are both owned by same company BUT, Simrad tech support is better. Simrad ducers will also fit the PA units.