Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys,

Long story short, I found a suitable replacement for wing leg caps. Simply put some silicone in the ribbed area and set with a rubber mallet. PERFECT fit and $15 for 8. Link below.

OGC (8 Pack) - 2 Inch OD Round Black for Plastic Plug by Cap Cover Tube Durable Chair Glide Insert Finishing Plugs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CN3ZYQP/re ... pDb28JWRXM

Also have a slow leak in the forward wing sockets. In the interim, these ring gaskets work fantastic in reducing the amount of water entering the sockets, like 97%, link below.

405 Buna-N O-Ring, 70A Durometer, Round, Black, 2" ID, 2-1/2" OD, 1/4" Width (Pack of 5) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051XYCNM/re ... pDbBC2CZHC

Really hope this helps others!

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, I have one cap off and now that you mention it; my heavy air crew might contribute to wear in bottom of socket...?
I have thought of filling the tube / wing arm with "closed cell" foam tubing as extra water displacement security...?
H21SC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

60+H21SC wrote:
Thanks, I have one cap off and now that you mention it; my heavy air crew might contribute to wear in bottom of socket...?
I have thought of filling the tube / wing arm with "closed cell" foam tubing as extra water displacement security...?
H21SC

Personally, I would not put any foam inside the wing arm. Any water that gets in will become trapped and cause the aluminum to corrode from the inside out, especially if you sail in salt water. If the wings on the 21 are like the 17, then they already have foam plugs inside. On my 17, I pulled out all the plugs and put a small hole in the bottom of the end cap, tapped to accept a countersunk sealing screw which can be removed to allow the tube to drain if needed.

sm