Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am planning to build a trailer for my 21SE that I bought recently. The unusual thing about the 21SE is, of course, that it telescopes in and out to minimize the width for transportation. I have not sailed this boat yet so I have no idea how this is usually done but I figure that the trailer needs to be able to telescope too. So I guess I would pull the boat out of the water at full width and then telescope in when on the trailer. Is that how it is done? Please share your thoughts on this and if you could share pictures of how your trailers work that would be great!

Hobie Cat 21SE #376

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I built mine for the crossbars to telescope. On the front, there are two flat pads that are wide enough to tele the boat in and out, without the crossbars having to go with them. They're a couple of feet long, front to back, but I would have to measure the width, because I built it in 1988. It also has a removable second stack for carrying two boats.

That front pad also pivots to fit the bottom rocker however it needs to. Those pads are made from two sections of treated 2x12's, covered with carpet.

The back crossbar also telescopes, but has 2-12" urethane rollers on each side. Those rollers are wide enough to telescope the boat by starting up on the edges of the rollers.

I used a semi-truck cargo bar to push the hulls out to insert the bolts, without having to take the tramp off.

There is also a pivoting A-frame on the front for raising the mast. With a winch, it has enough mechanical advantage that no further shroud tightening is needed. A couple of trap wires did the mast raising. It didn't/doesn't take me long to rig the boat.

On the back is a removable mast carrier with a roller. That rear mast carrier fits in a socket that also has a horizontal storage position to have somewhere to keep up with the mast stand, and still get it down out of the way.

There are pictures of it somewhere on these forums. I had it hot-dipped galvanized, and it still looks like it wasn't made very long ago.

I have the second stack parts, including different mast stands to carry two masts.

It went all over the country during the Prosail series.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Tom-do/did you travel with the comp tip in the back support? Kind of anxious about the new setup for me. Seems like a lot of distance/mast weight between there and the front support. As of now, going to build an intermediate suppor for front crossbar that'll double as a mast holder/roller for back when stepping mast.

My trailer is set up to expand and collapse like a telescope, but I travel full width. It's a little nerve racking and you have to select your roads wisely. It's PROBABLY a tad over the legal width also, but I'm just not sure... Gotten used to it, though. Looks like I got grounded from sailing this next weekend, so I'm working on boat/trailer again. Will post pics, if they'll help.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Never any weight on the Comptip. I traveled a lot of places with it wide, but not past Northern Virginia, or to go through the toll booths in Jacksonville, Fla. All the time in Va., and N.C. It didn't look out of proportion behind a dually.

The Comptip has a Sunbrella cover, and a fluorescent, reflective flag on the end of the cover. The boat is stored under a shed, and that cover is still surprisingly in good shape. I'm sure it wouldn't last long out in the Sun now.