Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine Bracket for SE
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone motor their SE around ? If so could you send me a pic of your engine bracket. Am thinking about making one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Martin,

It’s not an SE but I recently had some luck making an engine bracket for a 21sc. It was inspired by the commercially made Cheata Bracket but utilizes a single piece of aluminum that cups the rear crossbar. Instead of rivets the bracket is attached to the rear bar with three 1/4” bolts that run completely through the crossbar and into the front side of the bracket. I also applied automotive style “window weld” between the crossbar and bracket to eliminate any saltwater festering between the two pieces of aluminum.

Some aspects of the bracket are way over built and could use refining but I feel much more confident leaving my engine on the back while trailering.

I run a Suzuki DF2.5 which worked well with these hills. At 30lbs the engine is easily pulled up and placed in its upper position for sailing.

Here’s my attempt to post pictures. If anyone wants more details let me know.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PXq7ZBYbK3gadkeZ9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good pics thanks. That is a very solid affair ! And nicely avoids the mainsheet track.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had the Cheeta bracket on my Getaway, but was never happy with it, since it always dragged my propellor, and bounced in waves (until I bungeed it down).
Then Keith posted this! I (and several others) have built it, and it is great! You might have to modify the design for a 21. It cost about $100 to build (vs over $400 for a Cheeta). I sold my Cheeta mount.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... otor+mount

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use the my engine all the time to get off and away from the trailer and then back onto the trailer. I usually leave the trailer in the water while I am out since I have the space, it is a fresh water lake and the wheel bearings are above the surface.

My boat has a custom mount and is mounted to the front crossbar. According to the previous owner who made the mount, that is the only place the engine always stays out of the water even after capsizing. I don't know for sure if that is correct or not, but the one time I did capsize the motor stayed dry.

I will try to take some pictures of it.

Hobie Cat 21SE #376

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My 21SE came with a Cheata bracket which I took off. $225+shipping (from NC) if you are interested.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I got a cheetah bracket with my boat also - used it and the Suzuki DT2.0 for the first time over the weekend. Was WONDERFUL at the launch, because our launches are 1) busy and 2) have break waters around them. With a load of kids on a fun cruise, that was the ticket. Picked up the little 1989 2 hp Suzuki for $350. When I was going through it before using, everything was like brand new, even the prop was like new with scratches from banging around garage instead of on someone's boat. At 24 pounds, that little jewel is perfect! Took 4 months to find one that was right size and weight...

Really got to watch the length of the engine bracket if you make your own-they end up being kind of long to keep clear of the rudder cross bar. Kind of awkward to drive, but makes a greased-up approach at the dock with a bunch of other boats around easy. I ended up furling the jib and dropping/rolling up the main on the water pointed into the wind as well to make things safer at dock. This normal?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChuckC wrote:
I ended up furling the jib and dropping/rolling up the main on the water pointed into the wind as well to make things safer at dock. This normal?

Yeah. I got a motor for my Getaway largely because most of my launch sites are motor-boat-centric, and I pretty much need a motor to get away from the dock, and certainly to land. It's always a treat for me if the dock is arranged such that I can sail away and/or back to it. But on the lakes I sail, those are few.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ChuckC wrote:
I ended up furling the jib and dropping/rolling up the main on the water pointed into the wind as well to make things safer at dock. This normal?

That's the way I always do it. I even use the outboard to keep me pointed into the wind while raising the main as well as taking it down. So basically I use the outboard a few minutes at the beginning and end of every trip. This works well for me since I launch from a trailer on a rocky shore in cool water. If I were on a nice sandy tropical beach that would be a different thing :)

Hobie Cat 21SE #376

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dhaglund wrote:
My boat has a custom mount and is mounted to the front crossbar. According to the previous owner who made the mount, that is the only place the engine always stays out of the water even after capsizing. I don't know for sure if that is correct or not, but the one time I did capsize the motor stayed dry.

I will try to take some pictures of it.

Here are the pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/bbA2Zic1gsW2Knn37 The engine is mounted on the front crossbar. This seems to work fine but causes a lot of splashing at higher speeds. To the point where it actually slows the boat down! So in low to moderate wind it works fine but in high wind not that well. I would like to have the engine higher up when I'm not using it.

Hobie Cat 21SE #376