Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Side Scan on i11s
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone running side scan units on their i11s? How are you setting it up?

Post subject: Re: Side Scan on i11s
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, I'm using the Lowrance Hook2 triple shot set up to run off a car jump-start Li battery pack in a small Pelican case. the whole rig including the Hobie marketed flexible aluminum rod transducer mount secures to all my boats with one https://www.fishusa.com/RAILBLAZA-StarP ... 0zEALw_wcB.

The unit runs all day and the jump starter battery (Amazon: about $50 many brands) can also charge phones etc. So cool to have the chartplotter, sounder and side-scan mounted next to the seat on my i11s & old Ai on the left coast (Portland) and one setup for my 10' Avon in Brooklyn on the dirty side...

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

pdxh2o wrote:
Yes, I'm using the Lowrance Hook2 triple shot set up to run off a car jump-start Li battery pack in a small Pelican case. the whole rig including the Hobie marketed flexible aluminum rod transducer mount secures to all my boats with one https://www.fishusa.com/RAILBLAZA-StarP ... 0zEALw_wcB.

Thank you. How are you mounting the screen and transducer? A photo would be great :)

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Photos coming soon, we've got 3 days of mid 80's and fair winds on tap this week and I'll get some posted. The head unit has a Ram adapter that sits on a Ram adjustable mount (Hobie sells those parts too) screwed to the top of the little Pelican case, and the transducer is also attached to the same box in the same way, but on the side, and the rod is bent to put the long transducer in the water right next to the pontoon. For my money that Lowrance unit is the best bang for the buck, but get it with the updatable Navionics card to supplement the low-res pre-loaded charts.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

pdxh2o wrote:
Photos coming soon, we've got 3 days of mid 80's and fair winds on tap this week and I'll get some posted. The head unit has a Ram adapter that sits on a Ram adjustable mount (Hobie sells those parts too) screwed to the top of the little Pelican case, and the transducer is also attached to the same box in the same way, but on the side, and the rod is bent to put the long transducer in the water right next to the pontoon. For my money that Lowrance unit is the best bang for the buck, but get it with the updatable Navionics card to supplement the low-res pre-loaded charts.

Thank you, I would appreciate it. Right now I am using a very nifty "board mount" that a fellow member here made me a few years ago, with my Hook4 monitor + transducer. Looking at the weight and size of the smallest side scan units...not sure how my current setup would fare. Always interested to see new methods of mounting hardware to our inflatable kayaks!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'd love to see the photos too - sounds like an excellent solution.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here are Seth's images....

Fantastic solution!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your help, Don. Here's a further note: I positioned the star-port base on the boat so that the outer pontoon tube helps support the whole unit, but I still needed a small foam block (not shown) I wedged under it once it was mounted to help reduce stress on the VHB tape used to attach it to the deck. When the tape started to get less secure I pulled it off and used Aquaseal to glue it down. That did the trick. Cool thing is I can unplug the self contained unit in a sec and transfer it to any of my other boats or even use hand-held from other boats to locate lost objects for my color drop camera to take a closer look, another winner: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076LXGGBT/ref=dp_prsubs_3

Using both the Lowrance and the camera on the i11s stored in my Sprinter van makes for a low-cost, ultra portable survey rig that has more than paid for itself, and makes every voyage more interesting !