Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:14 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

I have emailed all registered owners of 2016 model inflatable kayaks to inform them of the situation. For any that are unregistered and visit our forums, here is a copy of the email:

Dear Hobie Kayak Owner,

I hope you’re enjoying your new inflatable kayak! I’m reaching out to all registered owners of the 2016 model inflatable kayaks. We have had some develop steering issues in which the steering can become tight or even bind up completely.

The friction is coming from a variance in the lines running through the tubing. We will have two update options if you are experiencing this. Either will come with a lifetime warranty to the steering system.

The first and quickest fix will be to swap out the existing Spectra lines with a 3/64” stranded stainless steel wire. While we normally use Spectra on all of our kayaks, the wire has passed all of our friction, wear, and corrosion testing with great results.

Since our future production will be a change to a new tube and a new line, we would like to make this option available as well. Your kayak will need to be shipped back and be updated which would be about a three to four week turnaround.

You can certainly do the wire update if you have a trip soon, or are not able to give up your kayak for the time needed for the tube/line update. Then, when you’re able, the kayak can come back here to have the new lines and tubes installed.

We will also be including a new reinforced steering handle base mounts with either update. This is the part at the bottom of the steering handle that clips into the seat.

Please contact your dealer to either get the wire kit or arrange to have your kayak sent back here to California. I apologize for the inconvenience and hope it doesn’t get in the way of your kayaking adventures too much.

Brendan Castile
Warranty Manager
Hobie Cat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi, at what point will the new i11s/i12s models with updated steering wires/handle mounts be available for sale?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:35 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

It depends on the dealer, but a few have received updated boats already (returned inventory) and others will within a few weeks (new inventory).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Brendan- I bought an i11S from dealer stock last week, steering worked fine during my first test ride over the weekend.

Is this issue one where owners should pay attention to the steering input force and get it retrofitted only if it the force required increases and/or it binds up? Or are you planning to retrofit all the boats with this potential problem? cheers, roger

ps- love the i11S!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The issue becomes worse over time (especially if the boat gets folded a lot - the tubes are pinching) Any Hobie kayak dealer can either get you the wire upgrade - or return the kayak for the re-work. Takes about a week here and the shipping time back n forth.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bcastile wrote:
It depends on the dealer, but a few have received updated boats already (returned inventory) and others will within a few weeks (new inventory).

As of now, can you confirm which dealers have the new updated i11s in their inventory? I'm looking locally at Campmor (Paramus, NJ), and online at Austin Kayak, but I'll buy from anywhere that has the new, fixed boats. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased an i12s. Had to wait for the dealer (Southwind Kayak in Irvine) to get new stock in. Can you confirm this will have had the factory refit? Is there any way I can tell?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:24 am 
Site Admin

Anything shipped after the announcement in early February would have be corrected.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Anything shipped after the announcement in early February would have be corrected.

Can you confirm with model # that my i11s has the new steering wire? Because, they definitely look and feel like spectra to me. I purchased mine from Campmor in mid-March, they got their stock in mid Feb I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All kayaks come with Spectra - only the wire kits for rework in the field - if you bought a kayak from a dealer it will have spectra.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jbernier wrote:
All kayaks come with Spectra - only the wire kits for rework in the field - if you bought a kayak from a dealer it will have spectra.

Thank you, I misread the original post and thought the factory replacement was wire as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought my i11S two weeks ago and only registered it today, so I did not get a letter about the issue, and my dealer did not tell me about it. I understand that my two options are to do the replacement myself or send the boat back to Hobie for the replacement, but if I try to do it myself and I am not satisfied with the result, will I still be able to send it back to Hobie?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Brendan Castile,
I have had several issues dealing with the recall of the Hobie i11 steering and binding. Please give me a return call at 830-214-4390 . Thank you !
Rj

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Question? I just ordered a I12s and I9s from my local dealer here in Houston Tx. What are the chances of this steering problem effecting these?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We recieved our kayaks, a i9 and i12, in late June this yr and I was suprised to see the spectra line steering installed. Sadly the i12's steering is starting to seize up....So after this season is over we will be returning both kayaks for the upgrade.