Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inflatable sailkit mods?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What mods are you considering for the inflatable sailkit? I think the inflatable case is unique because no roller furling, and a lesser ability to customize by drilling holes, etc.

More comfy grip on mainsheet without dangerous cleating: I started with tying knots in the handhold areas of the sheet, which doesn't prevent threading thru the stern d-ring because I use a clip on pulley block left on the line. Unfortunately the pulley more efficiently transmits sheeting pressure. I looked for a fluffy grippy line at West Marine, but no luck and expensive anyway. I ordered the next larger diameter of a longer dacron line from Amazon, but have been waiting for weeks.

Meanwhile I may try a nylon line instead, which may not be easier to hold, but will have stretch to absorb gusts so I don't have to adjust my grip so often (maybe just keep a hand wrap). I know this can work because I also sail an eccentric boat that keeps the mainsheet on a fixed bungee. I could attach it to a nylon bow line I use anyway which will prevent overloading gluepads and create a long stretch basis with no chance of bungee breakage.

Another issue is depowering: Just start with a longer mainsheet to let out a lot and let the sail mostly flap? At least that low tech approach works in a pinch on another boat I sail. So the mainsheet can be longer or at least have a clip at the end to be attached to my long bowline or maybe a gluepad behind me.

Lastly what about the inefficient taco shaped sail you get with a let-out mainsheet: There was a thread about installing boom-battens, but I liked the modest suggestion of cutting a notch in the paddle to catch the sheet and tension it as they do for the jib in this picture of whisker pole use:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I added a half wish bone boom made of PVC and a genoa kit from Kayaksailor.com. Need to add a club foot or half wishbone batten to the genoa. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, that rig looks fantastic. Yeah, stiffen up that jib so it becomes self tacking, and maybe can even rig "wing and wing" for downwind. Not only is your boom curved, it is angled like a sprit boom. Here is praise for a sprit boom from http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/a ... /index.cfm

Quote:
I have always loved this sail for small boats for these reasons:

It is super simple - just a mast and light sprit boom.

The boom is very high - so it is not likely to konk your head. So many of the other sail rigs have "deck sweeper" booms so you have to contort to get under them on every tack.

Great Visibility - a function of how high the boom is, you can see a bit better with this sail. Still have a blind spot, but a window will fix that.

Self vanging - I am always trying to eliminate line and complication from my boats, and a vang is just another complication. I tried this sail using a regular boom with jaws that ran along the foot, but gave it up for the simplicity of the sprit.

Being 3 sided, it points very high into the wind - and so far I have been able to beat all the square sails to windward. I have yet to defeat Ken and his lateen sail to windward, but I am not sure if it is the cut of my sail, the size of it, or if Ken is just a better sailor.

I hope the curve doesn't mush too much into the port shroud. There are claims that a curve isn't needed even though straight looks bad on one tack, but anyway a slight curve is needed for pvc construction. Here is another curved sprit boom (different from a "sprit sail" and sometimes called "leg o mutton" for some reason):

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My background includes windsurfing and a Melonseed skiff. Its sprit boom is straight. The Melonseed sail cut puts the boom much lower toward the foot of the sail so the dirty area below the boom when it's to windward is quite small. With the Hobie sail, the boom is much higher and like a windsurfer to my eye. To save weight, I just used a half wish bone boom. It works fine. Leg-O-Mutton refers to the sail shape, a three sided sail with a high clew.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

daft wrote:
I looked for a fluffy grippy line at West Marine, but no luck and expensive anyway. I ordered the next larger diameter of a longer dacron line from Amazon

Hobie standard mainsheet (dacron?):
mmiller wrote:
17.5 feet of 3/16"

I received Amazon's cheapest freely shipped 25 foot 4/16" (=1/4 of course) dacron piece of line. It will take a while to explore all the possibilities and compare with my Walmart elastic nylon line, but some first impressions here. At first glance the line looks hardly different except finer braiding gives a soft grippier feel. But if you tie a knot it is huge and would certainly give a positive grip.

It was strange that such a minor width difference made such a large volume of rope that would hardly fit in the sailbag. I did the math and found that 1/16 increase gives over twice the volume, then the 43% extra length makes it triple the volume. It may make a giant puddle in the cockpit, snaking toward sharp pedal drive parts. so I may cut off 4 feet if it doesn't prove needed in my extra-sail-let-out depower experiments.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a furling mod post that ended up in the cat section https://www.hobie.com/forums//viewtopic ... 23&t=63955

It seems to be like a roller jib behind and not attached to a forestay, only behind the mast in this case.