Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a I9s purchased in 2016, always kept in a cool shed partly inflated, and only exposed to sun, etc, for about 6-8 weeks during summer cruising.

I topped up the air and put it in the water three days ago and about 15 minutes later it was sinking and I just barely made it back to my boat. I pulled it aboard and used soapy water to check for leaks. It had large leaks from both ends, just under the black caps that have the handles and rudder attachment.

I contacted Hobie by email and was basically told tough luck. It was implied that by leaving it in a boatshed with air in it I was doing something "wrong". To quote that years owners manual,
Store out of Weather
or
Store your kayak in the rolling bag or inflated in a cool, dry environment out of the elements.

You don't get much cooler than seattle and our shed is dry.

So I would really like some help getting this put right. I realize the warranty says two years, but this is not right. I bought this mew from Hobiecats Northwest in Seattle. apparently the owner has retired and this business is now kaput.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Inflatable kayaks have "expiration dates". Materials and glue age unlike roto-molded polyethylene. They are not life purchases unfortunately. We do extend support via pro rated replacement... at a cost depending on how old. Not sure if your boat exceed this scale or not. Contact another local dealer (Once this Covid situation settles down). We are currently closed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Inflatable kayaks have "expiration dates". Materials and glue age unlike roto-molded polyethylene. They are not life purchases unfortunately. We do extend support via pro rated replacement... at a cost depending on how old. Not sure if your boat exceed this scale or not. Contact another local dealer (Once this Covid situation settles down). We are currently closed.

Matt, for heavy users (2-3x per week for 10 mo per year)...I'm looking to replace my i11s hull BEFORE any seam failures. Will pro rated price apply only after failures?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Yes. It is a warranty program that would only apply to a failed product.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will follow up with you after the virus crisis.

I do find it hard to understand that a company with your reputation can market a $2000 plus product, and expect it to only last for a couple of years with good care. I really do look forward to what you might suggest for repair or partial replacement once you see my I9s.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:09 am 
Site Admin

Unfortunately, this is the issue with inflatable products sometimes. They are really great for tight storage and easier transportation, but wear and materials breakdown is a common problem.

Down in he Virgin Islands, at a yacht charter company, I saw mountains of discarded inflatable dinghies. We keep striving for better materials and seam glues. They are getting better all the time. It is odd that some last many many years and others can fail sooner. Higher temperatures and over inflation seem to be major contributors to reduced life span. Maybe repeated inflation, folding, hot storage in trunks or sheds... just wears them out.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I dont have a dog in the fight, but i do own a Hobie :D

Does the inflatable come with an estimated expiration date? 2yrs-3yrs-5yrs?? I believe that is something that should be disclosed by the dealer as trained by the Factory. 2K is alot of money for many customers, It took me over 3 yrs to pull the trigger and spend the money on my PA12, now dont get me wrong I love this kayak and since, I have bought another hobie (Compass) for my wife and talked my dad into purchasing a PA14 and one of my fishing buddies just bought a 2020 outback after hearing me go on about mine for so long and he is now about to purchase one for his daughter.

As much as I love my Hobie if I was told it had an expiration date of 2-5 yrs (I know mine doesnt) I would never have bought it and maybe the cutomer posting this thread would have decided to save up a little more and buy an compass,Outback or even a PA12-14.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

They are a great option for many folks, If you have no storage, a boat, RV... You want to travel with them... they are about the only option. It does depend on the conditions and frequency of use though too. Inflatables do not have the life span of a rigid Polyethylene hull. There is no defined expiration date. I think this is pretty straight forward. Problem is we can't make them less expensive and still have some durability, so not a cheap option.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had no idea that I was purchasing a product that was only good for two years!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I had no idea that I was purchasing a product that was only good for two years!

That is the length of warranty, not the life span. Many last much longer. Recently had a guy say his was 10 years old and still going. We are making more changes to further address issues.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)