Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm thinking about buying an I Trek. I have only seen footage on flat water and am wondering if and how if behaves in waves. Any of you have experience? I would mostly use it in more rough sircumstances, don't mind getting wet since I'll be wearing a wetsuit. Looking forward to your responses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I also want to know. I don't believe there have been much of any wave handling reports even for the i11s generation. It kind of depends on what kind of waves are involved: shorebreak/windwaves/swell/wakes/stormwaves

But for mirage kayaks, including my i12s, there seems to be a common theme. Fine for heading into waves, but your stern can be knocked aside by steep and large following waves. The mirage fins create a pivot point and your rudder may not be able to overcome the force turning you sideways. I guess I never tried keeping the fins flat against the hull and using the double ended paddle. But I think this forum has a lot of stories about difficulty landing hard shell kayaks with following waves without broaching.

The board type of hull may behave differently. While waiting for itrek availability, I have ordered something very similar to a itrek 11 without mirage drive specifically for sit-down surfing. I have rigged other inflatable paddleboards for sit-down surfing, which is tremendous fun if you find a unique kind of wave and deal with the inability to shift weight fore and aft. But that's probably different kind of wave than you are anticipating.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I used to go out in the ocean with my i11s all the time and often Got stuck in some rough breakers. Being as it was so light you get pushed around quite a bit! It does a good job staying on top of the white water but by no means does it slice through. You need to be really careful.

I found myself in bad situations coming back in,turned sideways, but luckily with an inflatable, I just leaned, held on and floated back towards shore.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have used mine in the surf. Usually ok going out if 3 or less foot swells. On the way in, the back gets swept side ways. Basically i assume i am going to get flipped in the final breakers and everything is strapped down to assume that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use my iTrek 9 on lakes with a lot of powerboat traffic/wakeboards. The deck gets wet but the seat stays dry. Haven't been on the ocean but I think it would be rough. I love going out with the iT9, so simple to strap to roof and carry in to the lake.