Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

First hand new gen info is so thin that maybe this unfair comparison can shed some preliminary light. I went out in something resembling an i11 today, altho it had no pedal drive. Impressions:

+ The rigid seat is fabulous, a real game changer over soft seats. Back support is almost too good, because when I passed thru steep 3 foot chop the seat back would repeatedly tug my spine with roll impulses. Normally it's high CG could give a tippy feel, but:

+ The stability is outstanding, probably due to high volume side chambers. Pitch and yaw seemed to be dampened due to the board mostly slicing thru rather than bobbing over waves. Thus my dream of using Spirit sail may be feasible.

- Waves over the hull smack harshly into cargo that would have been more nestled in old style kayaks.

- Ponderous to paddle and shows no inclination to surf. Need Hobie's pedal drive version.

? Water can briefly pool between the side chambers somewhat deep and mine actually has a wide mesh scupper under the seat. I suppose Hobie expects drainage thru the drive well, and I wonder how effective this is for the rear half. Shouldn't be an issue for the single chamber itrek 9.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

yaw_string wrote:
shows no inclination to surf.

I got spanked today by accidentally surfing my Hobie-like sit-down paddle board (no pedals unfortunately). If this post or thread is out of line then delete away, but some of us old timers wonder what fish or fowl are these new sit down board kayaks... like do they handle waves better.

I remarked about the great roll stability of my craft resembling an itrek 11 in waves. And it seems to knife, (horizontally) thru generic waves like windwaves, wakes, and reasonable shorebreak. Nobody would expect it to be as appropriate for surfing waves compared to sleek high psi SUPs, but what if you blunder into some ballistic piledriver breaks?

I found you can be launched into a fast water-ski like run, even backwards! But slower than conventional SUP and more prone to standing vertically on your nose and then crashing. The whitewater hitting freeboard gets you started, but flex and drag prevents you from keeping with the wave. At least these are super easy to reboard, if you haven't collided with anything surfing backwards. If you must transit a surfy area, maybe wear an SUP type leash and my tightly strapped lifevest was a rare help for me today.