Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They are beautiful !! Some of the nicest hakas I've seen. Good job.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Solid!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote="foreverglades"

For more pictures/info go here: http://richard.rathe.org/2019/sailing-kayak-hakas-camping

Excellent stuff :) Loved the dualityies :)

Jeff
AI (2016)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PeteCress wrote:
betsy_y wrote:
And finally, carry some extra zip ties with you just in case.
When I had my outrigger canoe, I learned about these: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... 7TLuebLBDH

They are approximately 1" strips of rubber cut from an old automobile innertube.

In the canoe days, they served as ama attachments: https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipP ... yCF2hRWq6k

They are strong and useful general-purpose lashings for anywhere you need something lashed..... as in using a paddle shaft to jury-rig a broken aka.

Cheap, effective, long-lasting..... I will always have some as part of my on-water toolkit.

Hey Pete, the links to your photos seem to be broken, is there a chance you can restore them? I would be very happy to see this attachment method.

Thx, Bradley

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was all set to buy some spine boards off of amazon to use as Hakas. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N43PTN3/ref=twister_B07N413PC9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&tag=coa_us-20

But then someone on the FB group mentioned getting ones with grooves to add tubing reinforcements to keep them from bending and flexing under load.

That really stopped me in my tracks. Part of the appeal of the spine board was something that I didn't have to go crazy fabricating or modifying. Also, it doesn't appear that the ones I found on Amazon have grooves.

For those with spine board hakas, what's your experience? Can a 170 lb adult stand on one or is it going to flex too much?

Anyone reinforce theirs?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I hike out on my spine boards all the time (210lbs). No issues. I simply bungee them down.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm working on some Aluminum Hakas to cut at work. I've got a wooden set that the PO of my AI made, and they're... fine. A little shoddy construction. Looking for an improvement, and since we have a huge laser cutter and a warehouse full of marine-grade AL at work... here we go.

Thoughts from more experienced haka-ers before I cut the first prototype?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is the 200 lbs weight limit for the trampoline or the aka arms? I’m wondering if an aka bench capable of holding more than 200 lbs. would damage the aka joint. I realize the stress would be very dynamic based on wave action and the ama buoyancy…

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We just got our TI, hakas is one of the mods we are looking to pursue. I wonder if anyone has thought of using a 1x3X60" extruded aluminum bar with the built in channels. Cost would be low, weight low, unsure of the exact strength though. The end caps would need to be covered for safety but the channels would offer unlimited versatility for mounting. In the back corer a cushion seat extending a few inches further than the 3" width would offer nice perch for the bum.

I do see the advantages of something like loading ramps... more width for fishermen. But for us sailing camping folk, weight is a constraint.

Something else occurred to me when thinking of Hakas, Hobie 21 Wings... assuming one could pick up a used pair cheap enough and alter it to work in some way.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't have pictures, but we have used Inflatable SUP's and they worked great. 10'6 x 32 works great. Have you tried them?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88