Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi! We just bought a Tandem Island and realize that the boat will be too high to go under many of the ICW bridges around us. We can wait until the bridges open to pass through but am looking for ideas, suggestions as to how we could pass under the bridge. I am a 62 year old woman and not strong enough to take out or put in the sail mast by myself.

Thank you,

Michele

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

michelecartalk wrote:
Hi! We just bought a Tandem Island and realize that the boat will be too high to go under many of the ICW bridges around us. We can wait until the bridges open to pass through but am looking for ideas, suggestions as to how we could pass under the bridge. I am a 62 year old woman and not strong enough to take out or put in the sail mast by myself.

Thank you,

Michele

Congratulations on the new boat! Which one did you go with?

If you can’t step the mast yourself, I don’t think you have any choice but to wait for the bridge to open… Carry a VHF radio so you can call the bridge master and ask for it to be opened. That may be faster than waiting around for another boat to call…

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have a motor installed, you also have the option of using the TI without using the sail. I sometimes don't mount the sail when I know I'll be going under lower bridges such as when I venture onto rivers. I just use my Torqeedo motor.

You may not be interested in this option, but it should be mentioned. You don't always have to use the sail when you have a motor. The TI is a multi-powered boat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for your replies! Both were helpful!

We ended up purchasing on Craigslist a 2021 TI and trailer for $6,500. I called Hobie to verify that it was still under warranty. It is in very good shape. The only issue is that the line to unfurl the mast was gone so I had to buy a new line with the roller thingy that attaches to the sail. My husband and I tried kayaking with just the hull and we were very pleased with its performance. It handles wakes and waves well as long as you head into them. Hopefully, next weekend we will try the sail!

We have not bought a motor for the TI but maybe will consider that when we save up more money!

Thanks again,

Michele

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now that you have your TI, you should practice mounting the sail on land. You mentioned that you were not strong enough to take out or put in the sail mast by yourself. However, the sail is actually not that heavy. Mounting it is more about balance than strength. If you use the right balance, you probably can do it.

Have your husband spot you for the first tries. If you have problems, he can prevent the sail from falling. This should give you the confidence to try it. You always want to grip the sail with your hands far apart enough to keep it in balance. You raise and lower it slowly always maintaining the balance. It takes a bit of practice and technique, but most adults can do it. It does not require a lot of strength when done properly.

Once you master the technique on land, you can then try it on the water which admittedly is trickier. If I want to remove the sail on the water, I'll usually look to find a nearby shore to do it. However, with two people on board, it's far easier.

If you ever decide on a motor, check back here and we'll help you with that. A motor makes a TI a lot more versatile and considerably safer in larger bodies of water or in rough weather, seas, or heavy currents. Unless you use the TI only in safe, calm waters, and good weather, a motor is recommended.

Good luck and have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such good advice!

What type of motor do you recommend?

Thanks,

Michele

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When it comes to practical motors for your TI, you have to first make the choice between gas-powered and electric.

Gas-powered motors, such as the Suzuki 2.5HP are much less expensive and provide a lot of power. However, they're heavy, require gasoline on board, are much noisier, and are a bit smokey. They're harder to start and control and have no practical reverse. They also require more maintance.

A proper electric motor such as the new 3HP Torqeedo 1103AC is quiet, lightweight, powerful, very easy to control remotely, has a reverse, requires no dangerous fuel, and is non-polluting. But they cost considerably more than gas outboards. However, you can save a lot if you can find a used one. I know of one for sale.

I own both and will always recommend electric over gas if you can afford it.

I've covered all of this in detail in these two posts:

Torqeedo 403 Ultralight Motor / Hobie TI Application Guide

Outboard Motor / Hobie TI Application Guide & 403 Comparison

I highly recommend reading both before making any decision.

If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll be glad to help.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My 66 year-old wife can do it, but it takes practice. I'm 65, but a 6' man, and stepping and up stepping the mast on water has so far not been an issue. As pro10is indicates it's a matter of balance.

Do it first at the shore standing in the water; repeat at the shore when standing in the boat. Take a rest, then go paddle and do it in the open, When the mast is up I usually grab the mast with both hands to help getting myself up - then lift the mast and keep it balanced between your hands (the mast is not heavy but being long it pays off to consider balance). When putting the mast back up, make sure the sheet is clear and nothing will interfere - I've been known to curse at myself for stepping on the sheet thus preventing me from raising the mast :-)

Have fun with your yak - these are fantastic crafts!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for your post! I will let you know it goes!
Best regards,

Michele