Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Blasius wrote:
Tom Kirkman wrote:
I'm only being a bit sarcastic when I pose this question - I'd actually be interested to know. What would happen if you tied a few logs together into a raft and attempt to set sail in Italian waters? Would that be allowed?

It is allowed if sailing within the law limitation, basically within 300 meter from the coast everything is allowed.

I want to add an important and sad information related to the Italian coastal sailing limitations.
As I said I live in Sicily, almost every week thousands of people coming from Africa try to reach Sicilian coasts using old and unsafe boats.
Illegal landings determine thousands of deaths every year.
Italian coast guard is continuosly working in sea rescues.
Maybe this is the reason because our law is so strictly limited.

Regards

That is a very logical conclusion. However, I cannot help but think that if you personally made yourself known to your local coast guard, they would be sympathetic to your venturing outside the limitations, as your craft is so obviously not related to illegal immigrant vessels.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have similar immigration problems off of south Florida (wet feet/ dry feet rule), we have been warned not to land on a lot of the little islands west of key west (mule keys) and always be aware and cautious in those areas ( if you happen to find plastic bags of sugar, might not be sugar (lol)).
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi. I decided to bring this thread back to life as I thought it could somehow be linked to the discussion regarding the capacity of TIs. I am eagerly waiting to see if the 2020 TI model bears a sticker that allows for more passengers when using trampolines. It might just be an issue for us in Europe, but it would also be great if Hobie took the opportunity to specify on the CE Declaration of Conformity that, when used with sail and amas, the Tandem Island should be considered in the "C" category, so they can be legally used along the coast, rather than only in rivers in lakes (category "D"). I would hesitate to purchase it if I couldn't sail it in the sea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have decided to bring this thread back to life, especially for those sailing in Europe.

In regards with the regulations in place in France, the CE classification is not a limitation. The only limitation is the safety gear you have to bring with depending on how far from a shelter (aka a place where you can safely come ashore - for instance a port but also a beach) you are sailing. The further you sail from a shelter, the more gear you are obliged to carry.
Taking an "extreme example", you cannot be charged by the sea police while sailing between 20 nm and 60 nm away from a shelter on a D-class sail boat if you have onboard the adequate safety gear. On the contrary, even if you sail an A-class boat in very light wind and flat sea within 2 nm of your base, you could be charged if you don't have the proper safety equipment required to sail within 2 nm of a shelter.
The EC classification is just here to remind you that your boat has passed the tests for the classification shown on the label. It doesn't mean that it would not pass the higher classification either, but that it was not tested for it.
So, in accordance with the French laws, the EC classification is not an issue regarding where and when you might sail. IMHO, the EC classification is also here to remind us of the technical limitations of our TI, something that is just common sense and yes, a C-class is supposed to me more seaworthy than a D-class but it is no issue regarding the law.
My advice to all european TI / AI sailors : sail the open sea, beware of the risks (and the police is not one of them).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6