Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New owner!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just put the downpayment on a 2022 Tandem Island! Delivery by May (here's hoping). I am 65 and have been sailing in monohulls (Lightning, Albacore, Lazer, Shark, Tanzer 22, Alberg 22) since I was a child. My interest in white water paddling and wilderness camping got me to thinking about big lakes and an alternative to paddling a canoe in high winds and rough waters. I live on the shores of Lake Ontario and the canoe has its limitations there too. The TI seemed the perfect boat for camp cruising and tackling big water. I am planning to car top this boat at least as far as my launching spot. Very excited to sail this boat and join a community of TI owners!

Post subject: Re: New owner!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations! You'll love your new TI.

One important recommendation though. Lake Ontario is massive. The TI is an excellent boat but it has its limitations like any boat. Unless you plan to sail only very close to shore and only in excellent weather, I highly advise a backup motor.

I also sail in a big lake, not anywhere near as big as Lake Ontario, but big enough to get in serious trouble if far enough offshore in bad weather. After being caught in several totally unexpected storms and/or high winds, I now never rely solely on the sail/paddle-drive alone to safely make it back to shore. Way too risky. The TI can be quickly overwhelmed in rough seas and winds over 25-30 knots. When it gets like this, I simply furl the sail and use the motor to quickly and safely get back to shore. Without needing the sail, the TI is very stable even in rough seas. As long as you don't need the sail for propulsion, you'll get back safely. Don't rely on the paddle drive either, you can pump as hard as you can and the boat can still easily be overwhelmed. I speak from experience. Only a decent motor can be relied upon. You can use a small 2.5HP gas outboard, or better yet, a 3HP electric motor.

Enjoy, but stay safe!