Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How long before the Island hulls get modifie to allow the fitting of the Hobie 360 drive...

FAAAAARK!!! Hobie just blew everyone away at iCast show, announcing the incredible Hobie 360 pedal drive. Imagine being able to rotate your fins through 360 degrees, while pedaling! The direction is controlled by a secondary "rudder" lever, which operates a pinion which turns a big crown wheel at deck level. A red arrow tells you where the drive is pointing. You TURN ROTATE THE KAYAK AROUND YOUR SEAT!!!! Also, the fins now have a "snap-back" capability, no more bent rudder posts! Holy crap, what innovation!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-nVxeeNHIM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very impressive.
I hadn't even thought about the possibility of being able to use the mirage drive for side thrust!
Brilliant engineering.
Too bad it will never be retrofittable to the TI.
Would be great if they could retrofit the break away mechanism though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice! I wish I had that on my TI. I don't even have the reverse feature other than to remove the Mirage drive and install it backward.

I use my 403 to maneuver my TI in tight spots such as when docking. It used to be terrible with only the forward only Mirage drive especially since the TI is so long and turns so slow.

I hope they integrate these into the new TI's, although it's too late for older models.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some people knit in their spare time, I kayak and explore patents... A few years back I posted the patent details in this forum for the 180 drive prior to Hobie’s announcement. That got me a moderator warning and my post deleted. So I have been sitting quietly on the following marvel of a patent anxiously awaiting Hobie’s announcement:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/02/4b/ea/be4d35910b2dbd/WO2019040116A1.pdf

As intriguing (and amazing) as the patent was, it was hard to imagine what it would actually be like and how it would perform in the water. Seeing it in use in the video far exceeds my wildest expectations. I could see from the patent how it worked mechanically, but I could not fully grasp how maneuverable it would make a kayak

Well done, Hobie. Well done! What a fantastic bit of engineering!

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fascinating, and brilliant engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice, but the image of the drive being installed while beaching the boat is utter bs.

Unless you're trying to destroy the drive in one sitting, you dont keep it installed where it's contacting dirt/sand etc because all of the bearings are open (not sealed) and the gaps in the moving parts are big enough for even small chunks of stone/sand/vegetation to get inside.

Should demo that stuff like people have to use it in reality. about 20+ ft from the shore ...avoiding stand up paddlers and other kayaks with an ore that's just a bit too small to not get wet every time you use them :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Holy crap,,, this is awesome.

Way to go Hobie.

FE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Darth Ender wrote:
Should demo that stuff like people have to use it in reality. about 20+ ft from the shore

It is open so it can flush itself clean. Even when fully packed with sand it can flush just by cycling the pedals for 30 seconds or so.

But just like any of the drives... best not to wallow in the sand, mud and etc... we do recommend the drives be removed for beaching and launching even though they can be beached. The demo conditions shown were not a problem at all for the drives and it is easier to just leave them in.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Does anybody else see the serendipity between "daft" and "luddite"?

While the 360 drives might offer minimal benefits for Island users, there is no question that kayak fishers who venture into tight spaces like oyster leases etc while battling a fish will hugely appreciate the incredible maneuverability available.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Not sure you can appreciate side thrust without using it. It is AWESOME. I have used side thrusters on powerboats and getting on and off docks or holding a position in wind or current is so effortless. I think it would be a great addition to the Island, but also agree that complexity adds to the maintenance cycle and can possibly decrease dependability. The 360 would really be a cool add to the Island. Not for narrow hulls though. Side thrust on something like a Revo would just tend to roll the boat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

With the TI being such a BEAST, having the 360 would be nice. I have a 2017 TI with the 180 drives and the first time out with me in the back, wife in the front and kids on the tramps, I quickly realized the 180 drives we a must for backing out. I couldn't imagine having to get a paddle out!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

so this will be the big improvement of 2020? I expected something different and more useful. Maybe thhis is good for the ones who use a kayak in narrow channels or rivers.
but the Island is not a kayak, it's mostly for sailing in the ocean. In this forum i can read about people having damaged the hull or the bars or bent the mast, or cracked the drivewell. I should work on reducing the risk of these events than makes our boats so delicate. I hope Hobie will work also on it. especially the drivewell could be improved so that a little crack caused by the pedals in that point will not damage the whole hull in a way that could be unremediable. the drivewell could include a part that guest the mirage drive and can be replaced.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It’s my hope that Hobie is actively working on a new version of the TI that incorporates a two piece thermoformed hull. And that Hobie plans on incorporating a common injection molded drive well insert on all kayak lines, (similar to the passport and inflatables).
The TI also needs a stronger rudder design.
The current boat is too heavy.
The front hatch is not a good design.
Because it’s more a sailboat than kayak, (still needs a big rudder), the mirage 360 drive may not be an option.
I would like to see the boat widened to 12ft wide.
Modify the hull so it sits higher in the water.
With 700-800 lbs load capacity, (mine had 750-800 lb load capacity, which seemed about right).
The kayak, (without the sailing rigging) is Hobies best kayak, I wouldn’t want to lose that ability, (to use the boat as boat a tandem kayak and a really good sail boat).
Adding an optional bowsprit and jib, (maybe a wing jib like I had) makes the boat much more capable.
Hobie should sell an optional motor mount, (like the windrider 17).
Just my opinion
FE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

As much as I would love to have the new 360 drive the PA's are just too heavy. At least half of my fishing is in shallow water marsh and paddling the PA 14 is a pain the back! I will be making a move at some point likely to the Outback. I would love to see the new drive in the new Outback.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
Does anybody else see the serendipity between "daft" and "luddite"?

Nup, pointing out that there is difference between technical efficiency and economic efficiency doesn't make you a Luddite. Case in point: while I admire the 360 Degree Mirage Drive technology, the additional cost and complexity is not worth it in my case.

daft is a respected contributor to this forum.