Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
winfield100 wrote:
I’m extremely intrigued by stringy’s blue canopy/?bimini?
How does it attach to the Aka’s. The center points.
Hints on where to get it

Hi Robert,
It was the largest 4 Bow Bimini I could find at a reasonable price on eBay. It is attached by a double knuckle clamp to a length of bimini tube that spans the akas. That tube simply hooks over the front aka and clips to the rear aka using a tube clip.

@stringy
Thank you,
I have been searching for literally hours and found you had already answered my question
I have a bit of brain fog these days, as usual and apologies
I _think_ all I need to do is

1) 2 lengths of sturdy yet light tubing attached to aka’s around 10ft (3m) or so length, (flex?) for 2 points of Bimini attachment
2) 4 or 3 bow Bimini around 10ft length and 6ft wide (~3m x ~2m)
3) double knuckles to attach V bottom to tubing figure out where to get Al or stainless as I’m in salt water
4) adjustable straps to attach 4 corners of Bimini to ends of ama’s (check padeyes on ama’s?)
5) decide if I need “long pokey stick” to hook/unhook straps to padeyes assemble/disassemble

Be sure it can be disassembled easily and quickly as we get afternoon squalls with occasional microbursts afternoons.
Also get torqueedo 403 like many have that I see in many pix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Robert,
Standard 25mm (1.6mm wall) alloy bimini tube is light, strong, salt resistant and works well. You can get a huge range of connectors that make it very versatile and 2m lengths are available off the shelf at any decent chandlery.
For easy fitting and removal it just hooks over the front aka/tramp and clips down on the rear aka. I used tube clips but there are other holding systems available like quickfist clamps etc.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
Hi Robert,
Standard 25mm (1.6mm wall) alloy bimini tube is light, strong, salt resistant and works well. You can get a huge range of connectors that make it very versatile and 2m lengths are available off the shelf at any decent chandlery.
For easy fitting and removal it just hooks over the front aka/tramp and clips down on the rear aka. I used tube clips but there are other holding systems available like quickfist clamps etc.

Thank you.
I have been peddling my AI around the canals getting familiar, with and without ama’s
The canals are _flat_ water except for jumping fish
Took it to the mouth of canal at Caloosahatchie river, noticed about at entrance there were 2-3 ft ?swells? waves making noises and water getting “rough”
Decided “indiscretion may be the better part of something but didn’t want dunking and inadvertent lesson in righting as neighbor told me his 16ft revolution had been flipped out there.

Last time I righted a flipped sunfish sailboat was 33 years ago and I was a bit more spry

No go on river w/o ama’s and pfd. It’s a few miles wide at canal mouth.
Just a 71 year old beginner, eh.

There are literally 100’s of powerboats on boat lifts with 2-3 engines inboard and outboard, that _never_ move. Iguanas have moved into some, heavily barnacle encrusted propellers.
It baffles me just a tad bit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Catching up on replies to a few of the comments on this thread....

dammit, external power source for GoPros..
- I used to run external power to two GoPros and one Garmin Virb30 action cameras....The external power connections for the GoPros all failed (multiple times) with salt water damage.... I switiched to just using the standard water tight battery doors. Much safer. I have not tried the 3BR X-PWR option (see johnnybravo post)- the unit looks much better than what I was using. I also switched to the Garmin Ultr30 for two reasons... 4K images....and solid waterproof case with external power access. a bit $ but works great in salt water conditions.

windfield100
- Yes - I pop out the mirage drive and put it in backwards when I need to go in reverse in a pinch (as in the Philly video 23 min. mark). Works great.
- No Philly cheese steak sub....was on a tight time line..... ;-)

pro10is
- Fully agree with our comments on Hakas, Motors, Aka Pins and the TI redesign options.....I would be second in line for an updated TI!

Looking ahead....I am planning on a second Hobie AI/TI Offshore Sailing - Zoom Event... most likely in early to mid January 2021. I will post an announcement on this tread when I get the date and time set. Would appreciate discussion / presenter ideas be posted here to help get the draft agenda pulled together.

Enjoy recent post on TI sail around Manhattan here: https://youtu.be/vF_61ub4Krk

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Happy New Year to my fellow Island sailors!

I am putting together the date/times and draft agenda for the next "Hobie AI/TI Offshore (Coastal) Sailing - Zoom Event".

Draft date is Saturday February 6th. Need feedback from all to confirm this date works.

Time is TBD but most likely the same time period: 6 PM US ESDT (New York) - targeting 2 hours with brief break.

Agenda:
- Safety considerations
- Focus on modifications made to Islands for coastal sailing conditions.
- May do "live" walk around our boats for "show and tell" to show modifications made
- What "coastal" modifications worked well.
- What "coastal" modifications did not work (sometimes we learn more from our failures).
- Electronics - (navigation, lighting, cameras, batteries, ...)

I am planning on sending out a formal notice on this forum in the next week or so but needed some feedback on the above first.

Looking forward to your responses.... going frostbite sailing tomorrow on the Susquehanna River to Chesapeake Bay .... should be fun.

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

that is a good day/time.
My 2017 AI is still stock with no mods so far.
been out on the Caloosahatchie w/ama's extended and noticed a few wrecks/sunk/water hazards
sailboat sideways up in mangroves, powerboat sunk on a shallow reef (with radar dome still left!), covered with algae 30+ footer,
just doing mostly pedaling about as we are having shallow water, gators resting on temporary sandbars in canals next to seawalls in other canals
it's difficult to get in and out due to low water even at high tide so getting pilings and lift but on Florida time.
with ama's less nervous about "going swimming"
I'm sure many would appreciate the $10's if not way more million$ of boats that just "sit there, doing nothing"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Happy new year all, Jim, I'm super keen :) That date/time works well for Australia. It will be Sunday morning for us.

Is NY in daylight or standard time, GMT -5 right now?

I think we are +16 hours ahead of you.

I'm seriously considering adding an outboard, whether to go the Suzuki 2.5hp that you & others on here use or something else, I saw on youtube someone who added the 6hp so curious to see that, although it did look to be weighing the back down significantly.

I'm trying to build up my confidence sailing, having never capsized a TI I am always in doubt of how much it takes to do so and worried when sailing. The minute a bit of wind gets under my trampoline I get a bit nervous, yet I see on youtube some people sailing around with one side flying 1m+ in the air which gives me a bit of reassurance. I want to flip it in a shallow calm lake and then right it to practice this so I have a bit more confidence off-shore.

Your agenda looks great, can't wait! Thanks for the effort in organising. I will be sure to spread the word to my hobie group I run.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Happy 2021, Jim and team!

I will be travelling on that date, but I should be able to make it at that time, which is midnight in central Europe.

The agenda also looks great to me, Jim. Thank you very much for organising the event again!

See you soon,

Chess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

All Island Sailors,

We are about 1 month away from the Hobie Island Coastal Sailing - Zoom Event.

Few minor changes and request for inputs:
- Changed the title to Hobie Island Coastal Sailing - Zoom Event - reason - matches with our definitions from the 1st Zoom meeting a bit better
- Moved the time up 1 hour to get better overall attendance, now starting at 5 PM (vs. 6 PM) on Saturday 6 January 2021.

The graphic below provides info on different time zones and the draft agenda.

Looking forward to our (remote) gathering....keep sailing in the mean time!

ImageHobie Island Coastal Sailing - Zoom Event by Jim Powers, on Flickr

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

All,

We are a few days away from the next Hobie AI/TI Coastal / Offshore Sailing – Zoom Event. (see details in prior post).

The zoom event will take place this Saturday February 5th at 5 PM US EST (New York), GMT -5.

Note: this free fun event is open to all who have an interest in this subject.

I will be finalizing the agenda in the next few days. If you are interested in sharing a subject / photo / video please post a note here and I will add you to the agenda.

The zoom meeting links will also be posted here by the end of this week.

Looking forward to "seeing" everyone on Zoom!

ImageHobie Island Coastal Sailing - Zoom Event by Jim Powers, on Flickr

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

All - We are all set for the Hobie AI/TI Offshore Sailing – January 2021 Zoom Event!

All Island sailors are welcome to join in.

I am keeping the agenda flexible. We will start with the following. Open to new inputs!
- Introductions
- Safety considerations
- Modifications made to Island for coastal sailing conditions
- Live walk around Hobie Islands
- Your stories - what works - what does not!
- Open discussions

See everyone in a few days.
PS - If you would like to present / share your screen - please post a note here to help me plan the time.

Zoom details (links / passwords) below.

Topic: Hobie AI/TI Coastal / Offshore Sailing – Zoom Event
Time: Feb 6, 2021 05:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83404606578?p ... RQYTk1dz09

Meeting ID: 834 0460 6578
Passcode: 508631
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,83404606578#,,,,*508631# US (Washington DC)
+13126266799,,83404606578#,,,,*508631# US (Chicago)

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for organising the second virtual meet-up, Jim!

I will be glad to join!

See you soon,

Chess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

All,

We are all set for the Hobie AI/TI Offshore Sailing – Zoom Event.

Date Feb 6, 2021 (Sat evening US time)
Note correction on the time: 5 PM US EST (UTC -5) New York - NO CHANGE, 10 PM Coordinated Universal Time ‎(UTC)‎ (corrected)

ImageHobie Island Coastal Sailing - Zoom Event 2021-02-06 by Jim Powers, on Flickr

See everyone soon!

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

All,

A small but dedicated group of Island sailors + one prospective Hobie Island customer joined in a fun Zoom event to share their experiences, tips and ideas that support "Coastal/Offshore" sailing.

The informal meeting was recorded and can be viewed here on YouTube. https://youtu.be/IYzPfddBuQk

The group expressed interest in keeping the zoom gatherings going to share ideas. I committed to hosting a future zoom meeting during the summer months of 2021 (July).

Enjoy.

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you very much, Jim!

The 'prospective Hobie Island customer' :D very much enjoyed the event and learnt a lot from you and the rest of the participants. Hopefully, by the next Island Zoom, I will have my own hands-on experience to share.

Cheers,

Chess