Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chesapeake bay challenge
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I want to start a yearly gunk holing trip on the Chesapeake bay. Get as many miles in as possible with a round trip so we don’t have to relocate our vehicles. I would say any sailable vessel would be aloud.. just watch Texas 200 or Everglades challenge.. Chesapeake bay should be great for this.. I haven’t sailed the bay myself so people willing to get involved with knowledge of the bay would be awesome. I would also like to have a date and boat launch meeting point set up ASAP to move on with planning..
Thanks,
Allen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Allen

I am interested!

I did raise the subject of a EC type event in or near the Chesapeake with WT's Chief via email last year.

There are several options to consider. Short loops, Long loops:
- Loop - Annapolis > Norfolk > Annapolis ~ 300 miles
- Loop - Annapolis > Havre De Grace > St. Michaels > Annapolis ~ 200 miles
- Circumnavigate the Delmarva peninsula (both Atlantic and Chesapeake) ~ 400 miles

A bit of planning will be needed!

Option to build this Chesapeake Bay Challenge into one of the standing WT events....

Timing....TBD....propose October (less crowded camping) and make it a standing event with WT.

Just completed a couple of full day sails with my TI in the Chesapeake Bay in early January....bit frosty but fun...video coming by end of week.

Next steps:
- Propose interested sailors meet up in a location on the Chesapeake Bay (early Spring) and go for a day sail followed by a dinner to discuss options! Annapolis / Havre De Grace / Other locations.

Thoughts?

See couple photos from the Chesapeake Bay and my TI from January sail below.
ImageSand Island - Chesapeake Bay by Jim Powers, on Flickr
ImageHobie Island Frostbite Sail by Jim Powers, on Flickr

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very cool set up and pictures! Love the birds views. We should do early spring for that dinner and sail. All the loops you have mentioned sounds great! Any recommendations on where this first meet up should be? I assume the place we plan to start our loop from? Would we actually be able to camp you think? Or mostly gunkholing it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Count me in. I go to Kiptopeke/Cape Charles once in a while with my Hobie TI. I would like to do Annapolis/St. Michaels/Kent Island/Tilghman Island/Chesapeake Beach area since I've never been there. If the Annapolis Sailboat Show is being held April 30-May 2, then it would nice to check that out. More than 100 miles might be too much though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Acole1420 wrote:
I want to start a yearly gunk holing trip on the Chesapeake bay. Get as many miles in as possible with a round trip so we don’t have to relocate our vehicles. I would say free money 3d slots https://top-slotmachine.com/3d-slots/ any sailable vessel would be aloud.. just watch Texas 200 or Everglades challenge.. Chesapeake bay should be great for this.. I haven’t sailed the bay myself so people willing to get involved with knowledge of the bay would be awesome. I would also like to have a date and boat launch meeting point set up ASAP to move on with planning..
Thanks,
Allen

Great idea! what is approximately date?

Last edited by katster on Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We are going to shoot for the day trip dinner in early spring to come up with a group and the actual voyage is still yet to be determined. Keep checking this page for updates.. they will happen. Slowly but surely. Any advice is welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Right now I think we scout around for the boat launch that will be the meeting point where we can start our loop.. so we obviously need a 24 hr parking spots. I was told of one and now I forget and I don’t remember his number.. but also a place where we can beach and wait for the whole crew to arrive without hogging the ramp would be great

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

All,

I recommend the following be considered for our initial meeting this Spring . I am certainly open to other ideas, just getting the ball rolling:

- Date: TBD - recommend late April (may need to plan rain dates if the weather / winds are not favorable)
- Meet and launch our crafts (Islands / other) at Sandy Point Maryland State Park (just North of Annapolis)
- https://goo.gl/maps/xPdgT1dhHiqq6QxM7
- https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pa ... point.aspx
- https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pa ... ating.aspx
- Lots of space
- 24 hour boat access
- 22 launching ramps
- Small-craft Launch Area (kayaks)
- Go for a day sail - small loop starting at Sandy Point ~ 12 -13 miles (see map below) - Next to US Naval Academy
- Sail to Annapolis and have lunch and discuss / explore ideas for the Chesapeake Challenge (CC)
- Return sail to Sandy Point boat ramp
- Options:
- Skip the dinner at the end given the prior lunch discussions or
- Do a simple dinner to continue the discussions.
- I am assuming most if not all would return to their homes (drive) at the end of the day.

Thoughts?

ImageChesapeake Bay Challenge by Jim Powers, on Flickr

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I like that idea of an introductory sail and dinner! Sandy Point seems like a perfect spot to start.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The introductory sail is perfect, should we shoot for the last weekend in April Saturday the 24th and thee weekend after be the rain date? Do you think we will still need a spring suit? I would like to be prepared if I need to get one. Also for the day trip what will be a meeting time on the water to make sure we are get to lunch and off the water at a reasonable time.
What would be required to sail into Annapolis? Dock lines and a motor?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I did this exact sail a few years back (Sandy Point Park to Annapolis to Sandy Point Park).

My sail took me to the main city dock in Annapolis. There are a couple of restaurants that we may be able to pull up to and get tables next to our Islands!

I did do a brief detour and got caught up in a Naval Academy sailing regatta...

The wind did die and I used my outboard in a couple of places.

The YouTube video below shows most of the trip including the boat ramps, city docs, Naval Academy and some light wind sailing. This was in July (high season). Fair number of boats on the water. I did use my motor a couple of times when the wind died. Late April should have fewer boats.

Per the questions:
- Distance from Sandy Point to the Annapolis city docks is about 8 miles
- Time to sail to Annapolis is very wind dependent - but estimate ~ 2-3 hours
- Recommended meeting time is 9 AM with boats ready to head out by 9:30 or so (flexible, but wind will dictate)
- Recommended safety gear - what ever you need for cool water (upper 50s to low 60s is my best estimate).
- One or more lines to tie you boat up is recommended
- Motor is optional (I always take my outboard for safety reasons).

For those not familiar with the area, I hope this helps give you an idea of the sail.

https://youtu.be/FnZbbrZlS0Y

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Acole1420 wrote:
I want to start a yearly gunk holing trip on the Chesapeake bay. Get as many miles in as possible with a round trip so we don’t have to relocate our vehicles. I would say any sailable vessel would be aloud.. just watch Texas 200 or Everglades challenge.. Chesapeake bay should be great for this.. I haven’t sailed the bay myself so people willing to get involved with knowledge of the bay would be awesome. I would also like to have a date and boat launch meeting point set up ASAP to move on with planning..
Thanks,
Allen

I'm interested! I don't know what a "gunk holing trip" is but I like the sound of it.
Ordered an AI a couple weeks ago, so it will be March-April before I expect to be sailing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Larry, gunkholing is simply finding coves and such to protect us from choppy water to get a good night sleep. I have a Hobiecat getaway though which is still a little crazy to sleep on but I’m up for an adventure.. I don’t know if you could sleep on the aI or not.. or even just camp right on shore if we can. Also, Jim your video is awesome! Very cool set up. I like how the outriggers barely kiss the water. If Annapolis will be that dead when we roll in town I will be super happy. 9 o’clock meet and leave at 9:30 sounds like a good plan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just posted a very long 4K video showing my sail in the upper Chesapeake Bay from early January (frostbite sail).

Launch Point - Perryville, MD boat ramp (start and end point)

Destination - Upper Chesapeake Bay - near Sand Island

This will give you an idea of the upper Chesapeake Bay near Havre De Grace, MD and the mouth of the Susquehanna River..

The video shows my winter sailing gear.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/n-7jYiHLowM

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

powersjr2 wrote:
Just posted a very long 4K video showing my sail in the upper Chesapeake Bay from early January (frostbite sail).

Launch Point - Perryville, MD boat ramp (start and end point)

Destination - Upper Chesapeake Bay - near Sand Island

This will give you an idea of the upper Chesapeake Bay near Havre De Grace, MD and the mouth of the Susquehanna River..

The video shows my winter sailing gear.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/n-7jYiHLowM

Did you sail up to Conowingo Dam to the eagles.