Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am not familiar with this brand or product, but the possibility of recharging batteries under sail intrigues me. Outboard is about 25 lbs plus another 19 for the battery. One version is setup for remote control and steering. Battery can be remote mounted with an available separation cable.

https://www.epropulsion.com/spirit-evo

I could not get bbcode tables to work in this forum. Here is a comparison table with Torqeedo posted as an image instead.

All specifications are from manufacturer websites or user manuals. Speed and range information are for whatever unspecified boat type and model the manufacturer tested with. Doing the math comparison on power/speed/range, the ePropulsion test vehicle may have been heavier, shorter at the waterline, or had more drag.

Peter

Last edited by plfinch on Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

plfinch wrote:
I am not familiar with this brand or product, but the possibility of recharging batteries under sail intrigues me. No details provided on price. Outboard is about 25 lbs plus another 19 for the battery. One version is setup for remote control and steering.

https://www.epropulsion.com/spirit-evo

Peter

Intriguing. It looks like Torqeedo may finally have some viable competition. The price is around $2,000 so it's in the same price range as the Torqeedo offerings.

I hope someone gets a chance to test it. I would be happy to if I could get a hold of one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Reading through the details on the website, the battery can be remotely mounted using a separation cable. This reduces the weight on the stern and lets you put the battery inside the hull and locate for best balance (similar to Torqeedo).

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Added comparison table with Torqeedo 1103AC to original post above. This is actually an exciting alternative!

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How you find 3 horsepower out of 1000 watts is a mystery for another day I guess.

Torqeedo has a poor quality reputation in my opinion.

I am delighted with my Yamaha 2.5 gas motor- esp. at max load. It uses a tiny amount of fuel and is very quite- less loud even than a screaming electric.

5.2 knots is the max practical cruising speed before submerging the stern / rudder lines and putting a lot of water into the hull. You can motor faster but its wet and strains everything.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bluelaser2 wrote:
How you find 3 horsepower out of 1000 watts is a mystery for another day I guess.

Torqeedo does a pretty good job explaining this here:
https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/technology-and-environment/performance-and-efficiency.html

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is an interesting comparison video using a small john boat. The previous generation ePropulsion motor is used but differences are discussed at the end of the video.
https://youtu.be/cMer4S6phFY

Peter