Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good morning,

Proud owner of an island adventure since a few months I'm now looking to find a suitable spot to attach a telephone to the kayak to use it as GPS/fishfinder. There is a bungy in the middle of the kayak used to help get in/out which I don't use. Anyone know of a way of converting this to a flexible arm phone holder?

Advantages of this spot
- its free
- close to me
- its not on a wet zone (dont like puttin holes in wet zones)
- its not on the outside surface (i transport and store the kayak upside down)
- can hopefully leave it setup so dont need to be screwing/unscrewing every time get in and out)

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

lduncni wrote:
There is a bungy in the middle of the kayak used to help get in/out ??
I Don't think so...

I installed a 1" RAM ball on each side near the pockets to mount adjustable RAM accessories like for GPS and/or Fishfinders, GoPro

http://www.kayakingbob.com/files/Add1Ballmountonleftsiderearofpocket.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I understand your list of advantages, but in the long run, most of us have determined that a dedicated Chart Plotter is by far the best way to go. Just the visibility alone makes it worth it, cell phones and tablets were not designed to be used on the water in full sunlight. For around $280 a mid-sized Chart Plotter will serve you very well and provide depth information as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Evening,

Thanks for the info and the ball pointer.
Actually I have a spare phone that I don't mind to loose if accidents might happen. I picked up a portable sonar for not much which works not perfectly but enough for my 'faffing around' or at least until I decide I want to stick more money in and I'm likely to see the usefulness of that money.

I'll keep thinking to find a way of doing what I want to try.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So what is this "bungy in the middle of the kayak used to help get in/out" ??? :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

lduncni wrote:
Evening,

Thanks for the info and the ball pointer.
Actually I have a spare phone that I don't mind to loose if accidents might happen. I picked up a portable sonar for not much which works not perfectly but enough for my 'faffing around' or at least until I decide I want to stick more money in and I'm likely to see the usefulness of that money.

I'll keep thinking to find a way of doing what I want to try.

Before you spend money on a mount, take your phone outside on a very sunny day and see if you can read the screen well enough in direct sunlight for marine use. Unless your phone is extraordinary, it'll just be a hazy washout of colors. Chart Plotter screens are specifically designed for use in direct sunlight. Also, keep in mind that the TI is a very wet boat. Unless your phone is IP7 rated, it's going to get wetter than it should.

I can almost guarantee that after one season of trying to use a phone you'll go out and purchase a Chart Plotter. It's so worth it, I would never want to be without mine.

If you would still like to try, then go to RAM Mount. They have the hardware to mount almost everything to almost anything.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

KayakingBob wrote:
So what is this "bungy in the middle of the kayak used to help get in/out" ??? :)

I think he is referring to the bungy with the hook that is used to hold the drive fines up against the hull when not in use. That's my only guess.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

lduncni wrote:
Good morning,

Proud owner of an island adventure since a few months I'm now looking to find a suitable spot to attach a telephone to the kayak to use it as GPS/fishfinder. There is a bungy in the middle of the kayak used to help get in/out which I don't use. Anyone know of a way of converting this to a flexible arm phone holder?

Advantages of this spot
- its free
- close to me
- its not on a wet zone (dont like puttin holes in wet zones)
- its not on the outside surface (i transport and store the kayak upside down)
- can hopefully leave it setup so dont need to be screwing/unscrewing every time get in and out)

Thanks for your help!

You might want to rethink using your phone as either a GPS...and how can a phone operate as a fish finder.
Phone service isn't available everywhere. Get a proper GPS/fishfinder. Put your phone in a dry bag and stow it for safe keeping.