Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Recently purchased Hobie Tandem Island for use in Puerto Peñasco, Mexico. Would like to use off-season when water temperature is in the 60s and air temperature ranges between 50-70°F. Curious what people recommend. Do I use a full body kayak dry suit, or more traditional wetsuit.? Have to have feet covering starting the boat off from the beach in colder water, but need flexibility on the top layers if it gets warmer during the Day. Also, not sure what gives the most flexibility when peddling the Mirage Drive. How should I approach using the TI in colder water combining comfort and protection, but not freezing air temperatures in the north of the sea of Cortez.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been kayaking for over 50 years in total and the best thing I have found is dry trousers with a neoprene stomach/chest section. Mine just expired on me and I have this morning ordered these:
https://www.nookie.co.uk/product/pro-bi ... ble-waist/

Hoping they are as good as my last set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT3WxyRUvL4

Julian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Julian. Do the fabric socks provide adequate waterproofing when stepping in cold water? Can’t tell from the video. Do I add additional foot protection or special waterproof shoe on top of this? Want to keep warm and dry from colder water in the 60s but have to be durable enough to be able to pedal the Mirage Drive.Also, since the Nookie line is in England, I am presuming they ship to the US? Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry for delay. Socks completely waterproof as is the rest. Wear socks of any thickness underneath and put shoes/sandals on outside to protect socks.

Nookies not sure. But others must make similar?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Vitman2020 wrote:
Recently purchased Hobie Tandem Island for use in Puerto Peñasco, Mexico. Would like to use off-season when water temperature is in the 60s and air temperature ranges between 50-70°F. Curious what people recommend. Do I need to change from my women clothes use a full body kayak dry suit, or more traditional wetsuit.? You can click here to see what I have in mind and I also have to have feet covering starting the boat off from the beach in colder water, but need flexibility on the top layers of clothing if it gets warmer during the Day. Also, not sure what gives the most flexibility when peddling the Mirage Drive. How should I approach using the TI in colder water combining comfort and protection, but not freezing air temperatures in the north of the sea of Cortez.

In the colder water and air temperatures of the Sea of Cortez off-season, it's important to choose the right clothing for kayaking. A full body kayak drysuit is the best option for optimal warmth, comfort, and protection. This type of suit is designed to provide insulation and waterproofing so you can stay warm and dry even in colder waters. It is also the most flexible option for paddling and pedaling the Hobie Tandem Island Mirage Drive. A traditional wetsuit can also provide warmth and protection, but may not be as flexible and may not provide as much protection from the cold. When choosing clothing for kayaking in colder temperatures, make sure to select items that are designed for water activities and provide insulation and protection.