Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Full circle
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have been sailing for almost 50 years now. Started out racing Hobie 16's in the 70's and early 80's. There came a time when it became harder and harder to want to crawl into a wetsuit to go sailing. So we spent a number of years sailing cruising monohulls. Now retired, my (cushy) retirement job is an USCG licensed/ASA Sailing instructor. Blessed as that is, I was spending little time on my boat and sold it earlier this year. I sampled a recent Revolution 11 kayak and was enamored with the ease of pedaling and decided to go all in and get a Hobie AI. Although they are rare in my area (Phoenix, AZ) I managed to find a little used 2020 AI.

Maiden voyage was Wednesday last week and it was a blast. Had mixed light to moderate winds but had busts of speed in the 6-9 range. The burst of acceleration reminded me of the Hobie 16 from years ago. Can't wait to get out again.

Steve
Hobie AI "Tri-al Size"

Post subject: Re: Full circle
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

welcome to the group. Same experience here, not an instructor but would love to do that. Yes these boats bring back a bit of the hobie thrill. Not as much top end but not as much strength required either. And MUCH faster to rig.
You will find in time that they overpower the rudder and you need to bear off in bigger puffs, also in higher winds pedalling is very helpful. Speed=stability.
What is the sailing like out there? We spent time in the past in Florida camping, sailing and bicycling. But this year COVID kept us out. Next year looks bad the good campsites are all booked already. So maybe a longer drive is in order for 2022.

Post subject: Re: Full circle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Still learning after 50 years of sailing and most assuredly with the AI. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully, I won't have to crash,,,to figure that out!

Sailing here is much like any inland lake across the US. Light to moderate normally and gusty-shifty when fronts move through. Summer monsoons are something to avoid (electrical storms and dust storms). But overall, not bad considering you can sail all year long. Our local lake near Phoenix (Lake Pleasant) is about 10K acres when full and is about half that after draw down for irrigation during the summer, then fills up every winter (CAP water from Colorado River).

Hope to head out again tomorrow. I had wanted to install some tweakers for the mainsheet, but did not get to it today, so I will go without and not pass up on the chance to
get out on the boat again.

Steve
Hobie AI "Tri-al Size"