Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I live in South Florida and am looking to buy a used Hobie Island.

Available choices right now on craigslist, etc. are:

1. 2014 island with tramps and trailer- $3,500 asking price. Owner says doesn't have time for me to try it out. Can look and then make decision.

2. 2016 Island with tramps. $5,300- not sure if I can try it out.

3. 2018 Island with tramps and trailer- $6,777 asking price. I think the owner said he will let me try it out.

I haven't sailed in over 45 years. Became interested in the Island because looking for a tandem kayak for my husband and I. I have a Revolution 13 and love its speed. From the different posts on this forum, it appears that the Island goes even faster, even if used solely as a kayak. I am leaning towards the 2014 mainly because it is so much less expensive and I want to make sure my husband and I will use it often before we put down a bigger chunk of change. Will also have to buy an extra floating dock piece because my plan is to store and launch the island on our floating dock. The float dock is attached to a wooden dock. We are across the street from the intercoastal. (Want to store the thing on our floating dock so it makes it easier for us to use).

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts- both on the islands as well as the storage and launching.

Thank you,

Michele

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

michelecartalk wrote:
I live in South Florida and am looking to buy a used Hobie Island.

Available choices right now on craigslist, etc. are:

1. 2014 island with tramps and trailer- $3,500 asking price. Owner says doesn't have time for me to try it out. Can look and then make decision.

2. 2016 Island with tramps. $5,300- not sure if I can try it out.

3. 2018 Island with tramps and trailer- $6,777 asking price. I think the owner said he will let me try it out.

I haven't sailed in over 45 years. Became interested in the Island because looking for a tandem kayak for my husband and I. I have a Revolution 13 and love its speed. From the different posts on this forum, it appears that the Island goes even faster, even if used solely as a kayak. I am leaning towards the 2014 mainly because it is so much less expensive and I want to make sure my husband and I will use it often before we put down a bigger chunk of change. Will also have to buy an extra floating dock piece because my plan is to store and launch the island on our floating dock. The float dock is attached to a wooden dock. We are across the street from the intercoastal. (Want to store the thing on our floating dock so it makes it easier for us to use).

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts- both on the islands as well as the storage and launching.

Thank you,

Michele

Your list of available options doesn’t include if these are Tandem Islands or Adventure Islands (solo version) but reading your post you referred to the need for a tandem craft. I’ll approach this as if they are in fact Tandem Islands….

Hobie made some pretty significant changes after 2014 so that boat, though it is still a good model, is at a disadvantage to the other two from the start. Depending on the wear and tear and maintenance, it may be ok but I don’t think it’s the best deal of the three. The 2016, again depending on condition, reads to be your best dollar deal but the 2018 is not a bad price. The 2018 seller being willing to do a trial is definitely worthy of consideration and I’m not certain but of the three, I believe it is the only one with the Mirage 180 drives (reverse levers) and those are very convenient. I don’t know you or how handy you are and I’ve not seen any of these options but my first choice would be the 2018 followed by the 2016 and then the 2014. But that’s based on all boats in similarly good condition, the 2018 having 180 drives and the sellers open attitude. Hope that was helpful…

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you can afford the price difference, don't hesitate and go for a post-2015 model, which has been deeply redesigned, especially regarding comfort : Vantage seats are much more comfortable than the older design, and on such a boat comfort is essential.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for replies!

What do you think about a 2021 TI for $6,500- it includes a trailer. Missing the drive plugs that you can use if you are not using the mirage drives. Also missing the line that you use to unfurl the sail. Otherwise, in very good shape. I called Hobie and they have it registered and confirmed still has 2 years warranty.

Thank you for your replies!

Michele

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Also includes the trampolines. And it is a tandem island.

thank you,
Michele

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Missing drive plugs aren't a big deal - not very often you'd actually go out without the drives in anyway. Furling line shouldn't be a problem to replace. Trampolines are handy if you have or might ever have kids/dogs you want to bring along, or you want to hike out and lounge about on them to stretch your legs.

Comments on the post-2015 models are valid - they were slightly redesigned, and sail a little better (by all accounts). Vantage seats are great, but alternatives can be sourced and fitted with a little effort and little expense. The earlier model hobie seats aren't that uncomfortable, but you will often get a wetter bum with them - water drains out, but the seats stay wet.

Something that must be said for post-2015 models, though, is that they are appreciably heavier. If you're looking at having to lift them very much (I car-top mine onto my 4WD that is 2.35 metres high), then this is a big consideration - if you have to drag them very far up the beach, or up steep muddy banks in rivers and creeks (fun!), then weight is a consideration.

If it were me, and in my use case, I'd go for the 2014 model - and spend the savings on something else you enjoy. My opinion only, but I don't think the improvements justify the additional expense.

It would be great if you could find some people local to you (local Hobie club) that had the various designs, and jump about with a friendly owner or 3 to check them out.

Good luck!