Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm starting this forum to show the transformation of a regular boat trailer to a TI trailer. We had another tear drop trailer that we were top loading the TI and it was becoming a daunting task that honestly made us not want to take the boat out as much. After debating whether we should spend more money on buying a kayak trailer we decided it was the right choice. I then started looking up trailer companies that make trailers specifically for the tandem island. I decided on one company in Idaho and asked for a quote. We recieved a quote for over 7k which included shipping from Idaho to Phoenix az. We were shocked by the high price and the wait time for completion. I guess there is a trailer shortage. This started the journey of trying to find a trailer locally. I initially started looking at trailers that were light weight and meant for aluminum fishing boats and kayaks. I found these to be cheap and flimsy with wheels that looked like shopping cart wheels. People were still asking over 2k+ for these trailers that still needed to be modified. Crazy I thought. I started looking at normal boat trailers at this point. Much more options stated to show up. The quality was much better and the cost was a fraction of the flimsy trailers. I ended up finding a listing for a trailer that had recently been re painted and had newer tires listed nearby for 1k. We checked it out and found it to be a solid trailer. It has a nice side step already on the side which will be useful for the future plans of adding a cargo box above the boat to store the seats, tramps and mirage drive etc. The kicker with the trailer is that I had to take the boat that was on the trailer. We purchased the trailer and now started the transformation. I know this trailer will be pretty heavy duty for the application but I think it will make for a very stable platform.

Last edited by Cargolift on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First I had to get rid of the boat that was in terrible condition.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New wheel for the front and the boards are off. Checking to see the general width of the new cradles. Next will be determining where to have the cradles placed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thinking about having the cradles placed 100 and 150 inches aft of the bow. Anyone else have measurements on what their trailer is? Or an opinion?

http://imgur.com/gallery/azrLGCR

Last edited by Cargolift on Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a nice sturdy trailer there.
The cradles on my (Hobie UK dealer supplied) trailer are 1.7m (67") apart (measured to centres), with the front one roughly 2.3m (90") back from the bow. There is also support for the bow just in front of the snubber.
I replicated the above spacing for the storage cradles hung from my garage ceiling.
Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RedKite wrote:
That's a nice sturdy trailer there.
The cradles on my (Hobie UK dealer supplied) trailer are 1.7m (67") apart (measured to centres), with the front one roughly 2.3m (90") back from the bow. There is also support for the bow just in front of the snubber.
I replicated the above spacing for the storage cradles hung from my garage ceiling.
Hope that helps.

Thank you very much that was the exact help I was looking for. That's likely what I'll go with! Thanks Redkite!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the trailer in to remove the old board tabs. I like where the cross bars are for the cradles. I ended up going 95" aft of the bow and a split of 67" like Hobie suggests. The rear roller unfortunately is a bit low. I was waiting for the boat to be on to see how high the front roller needs to be. I had the post at the front of the trailer shortened to make more room for the boat on the trailer. Added trailer waterproof trailer lights with side markers. Going to spray paint the exposed steel and get the from support welded up.

Last edited by Cargolift on Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Boat on the new cradles to check the fit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looking good - plenty of scope with that trailer for extra storage on a fabricated 'roof rack' over the boat?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is one hefty trailer. One thing to consider. The stock cradles allow the amas to touch the main hull, resulting in chafe marks on the decals unless you put something in between. There is enough space to cut the cradle and space the amas out a little to avoid this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RedKite wrote:
Looking good - plenty of scope with that trailer for extra storage on a fabricated 'roof rack' over the boat?

Thank you! Yes that is the plan. I want to give it a few launches to make sure everything is right then we'll add that on. Thanks for the comment!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

quattroguy wrote:
That is one hefty trailer. One thing to consider. The stock cradles allow the amas to touch the main hull, resulting in chafe marks on the decals unless you put something in between. There is enough space to cut the cradle and space the amas out a little to avoid this.

Thanks for the heads up unfortunately I already learned that lesson driving down a dirt road with our hobie on top of our off road camper. It has a little side rash now. Live and learn I guess. Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How long was the boat originally on the trailer? Thinking of the same idea for the TI we don't have yet :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tohopko wrote:
How long was the boat originally on the trailer? Thinking of the same idea for the TI we don't have yet :)

Hey Tahopko sorry for the late response been out of town. Which trailer are you referencing I can get you either!

Cheers!

Well if you decide to buy keep ours in mind we are kicking around the idea of selling.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Finished all the mods for now. Extended the rear roller higher to support the aft part of the boat. Added 4 eyelets to make strapping the boat down for transportation quick and easy. Added the front roller to support the bow and had the license plate bolted to the trailer fender. Just have to clean the surface rust off and touch up with paint. Total cost 2,500 ish.

Thanks for following happy sailing!