Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Guess I could do that. Might look funny though.
Sure wish I had the boat.

2015 Tandem Island-ivory dune

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I could but it would interfere with reaching into the cargo box and because it's so long it would reach
as far forward as my bow stop. I think it would interfere with turning the vehicle and also have to be supported with some kind of bracket where it goes beyond the upper deck. I have 6" grey pvc pipe for it but I don't think 5" would make it much better.
- C

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What about mounting the sail carrier underneath the trailer?

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thinking about that too,Tom. I would only have to change one thing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That would be a great place for it but I don't have enough clearance between the axle and the trailer frame for the 6" pipe. You might be able to do it with 4" pipe and a 5" section at the rear for the spool. The clearance below the cargo box level is only a problem during loading when the bow is pointing upward and gets near the bottom of the upper deck in one area. In other words it wouldn't be a problem if you could lift the stern and load the boat on a horizontal plane. It might be possible to use some sections of 4" and leave that problem area open. Not as good as one continuous piece and you would have to remove the mast before unloading and stow it after loading.

- Chris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chris, do you use a dolly to load/unload? I'll either be using a pvc dolly or backing the trailer in the water to load/unload

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

DANG! Why can't I just have my stinking boat!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes I use a cart I made from a single Hobie cradle. There are pictures of it somewhere in my posts and it appears on it's resting place at the rear of my trailer in some of the trailer pics.
I'm not positive but the Hobie cart appears to use a cradle that has taller mounting posts. It may just be the pictures but it would mean that my cart is lower to the ground. I'm hoping to keep my trailer axle out of the water and rely on the cart. The way I have it mounted on the trailer makes it pretty easy. I have only had one opportunity to use the boat so I'm still trying to decide where exactly the cart should be strapped on. I think just in front of the rear seat is pretty well balanced for my cart.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
BTW One local fellow went REALLY outside the square, and built a HUGE box covering the whole area of the trailer! This box is hinged on one side, and is about a foot deep. He has cradles for his AI (and provision for his Revo13 as well). There are hydraulic struts on the box, so the lid can be lifted easily (I do not know whether it can be lifted while one or both Hobies are in place).

I also heard he was planning on adding walls, so he could sleep inside it if he wanted!.

That's not just outside the square, it's down a couple of blocks! I will see if I can obtain photos.

Here are the photos...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, that's a box!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for putting up the picks Tony. Just to give some detail the base/frame of the trailer galvanised C channel and I put in a ply floor to keep wait down and let me get it through as a single axle. the lid is two sections of rectangular aluminium to give some extra room covered with aluminium sheet. You probably only need one section depending on how much room you want inside. I went for two to allow my fridge to go inside. The downside is that its just a little higher when loading and unloading. It can be lifted with three kayaks on it although the struts probably should be repositioned so they come into play as soon as the lift starts. Where they are means they don't come into play until the lid is about 30 cm up. There is a Teflon slide strip on the back of the trailer so the AI can slide straight off. I've had it about 4 years now but have never really finished it. The idea was to put in a false floor to sleep on and design a canopy to come off the side. One day it will happen.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I added a rubbermaid 24 gallon cargo box to the front of my trailer. It's lockable, waterproof, durable, suprer light weight Just drill 4 holes in the bottom, 2 u bolts, and done. A cargo box that does not impede in any way. you might have to pusy the bow back a bit on your trailer, but this was helpful for me anyways because the tongue weight was a little heavy. On a car its not a big deal, towing behind the motorcycle, tongue weight makes a difference.

2016 Tandem Island on a Trailex Aluminum trailer being towed by a
Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle..

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Got my trailer done and picked up my boat yesterday. IT FITS PERFECTLY! I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance. Gotta get a little sailing in first. You understand. The main thing I hav left is a stop on front and rollers in the back.