Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trailer Upgrades
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm sorry if I've missed it, but what make/model of trailer was this originally before these great mods were applied?

Thanks,

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

timo wrote:
I'm sorry if I've missed it, but what make/model of trailer was this originally before these great mods were applied?

Thanks,

Tim

Timo, I'm not exactly sure. My dealer assembled it for me. But here is a link to the trailer on my dealer's web page:

http://www.selectsail.com/product/1213/

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Whoa! Its been a while since i have been on and i get an email from tap a talk with your trailer mods. You have been busy. With our crazy weather here i am pulling the 17pa out this weekend i think.

Like what you did i am going to start a new thread with my trailer adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Defy wrote:
Whoa! Its been a while since i have been on and i get an email from tap a talk with your trailer mods. You have been busy. With our crazy weather here i am pulling the 17pa out this weekend i think.

Yeah it was a busy spring! It'll be some time before I get the TI out this year. We're in the process of moving to OH.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TI_Tom wrote:
Defy wrote:

Yeah it was a busy spring! It'll be some time before I get the TI out this year. We're in the process of moving to OH.

Yep moving to Va this summer. Thinking real hard about swapping to a TI for that ocean ride!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Defy wrote:
TI_Tom wrote:
Defy wrote:

Yep moving to Va this summer. Thinking real hard about swapping to a TI for that ocean ride!

I had mine out in Lake Michigan last summer. You wouldn't regret the switch at all.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TI_Tom wrote:
Defy wrote:
TI_Tom wrote:
Defy wrote:

I had mine out in Lake Michigan last summer. You wouldn't regret the switch at all.

Yeah I know but really it will just be me on the ocean (kids are too small) so I might get a sunfish or a laser or better yet a wave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It's early Spring here in Santa Cruz, the relentless rains of this winter (not complaining after 5 years of drought mind you) are finally giving way to sunshine and gorgeous conditions on the Monterey Bay. Best of all, the time has come for me to order my new Tandem Island!

The first thing I will do is order a Trailex trailer and set to work building the PVC bunks. Thank you everyone for the invaluable information you have posted on this an other threads. I want to give a special shout out to AI_Tom for posting the specs and photos from his trailer.
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=57275. My plan is to pretty much replicate his rig with the exception of a slightly larger mast/sail tube.

It may have been answered elsewhere but I am puzzled by the differences (advantages/disadvantages) between the Hobie TI Trailex Trailer ~$1359 from Austin Kayak, and the Trailex SUT-350-S https://www.trailex.com/SUT-350-S.cfm, @ ~$1150, given that I will be utilizing the PVC bunk system.

I'd also appreciate getting some help on the selection of a winch as I have recently reached "retirement age" and will be often launching and retreiving the boat on my own.

Much appreciated.

Hobie Tandem Island (not quite yet)
Ivory Dune
Timely Intervention

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

GarySC wrote:
It's early Spring here in Santa Cruz, the relentless rains of this winter (not complaining after 5 years of drought mind you) are finally giving way to sunshine and gorgeous conditions on the Monterey Bay. Best of all, the time has come for me to order my new Tandem Island!

The first thing I will do is order a Trailex trailer and set to work building the PVC bunks. Thank you everyone for the invaluable information you have posted on this an other threads. I want to give a special shout out to AI_Tom for posting the specs and photos from his trailer.
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=57275. My plan is to pretty much replicate his rig with the exception of a slightly larger mast/sail tube.

It may have been answered elsewhere but I am puzzled by the differences (advantages/disadvantages) between the Hobie TI Trailex Trailer ~$1359 from Austin Kayak, and the Trailex SUT-350-S https://www.trailex.com/SUT-350-S.cfm, @ ~$1150, given that I will be utilizing the PVC bunk system.

I'd also appreciate getting some help on the selection of a winch as I have recently reached "retirement age" and will be often launching and retreiving the boat on my own.

Much appreciated.

Hobie Tandem Island (not quite yet)
Ivory Dune
Timely Intervention

Welcome GarySC and congratulations on your new TI. My first sailing experience was actually in Monterey Bay on my dad's 22ft Ranger. Lot's of fond memories sailing those waters.

I think the price difference on the trailer is just markup;the difference between buying directly from the manufacturer and going through a retailer. For the winch tower and winch I think I just ordered them off of e-trailer.com or some equivalent. I know that trailex makes a tower. FYI, make sure you either get a winch that already has a 20ft+ winch strap or order a replacement that's 20ft+. Remember, you have the length of the trailer and part of the boat to contend with. I don't know if I documented this or not, but I use a 4x4 tree strap as a bridal to hook the winch strap to. I wrap it under the aka brace, around the mast well, and back under the aka brace on the opposite side. The loops at the ends of the tree strap then meet right above the front hatch. Much better to pull by the aka brace than the front padeye.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
I don't know if I documented this or not, but I use a 4x4 tree strap as a bridal to hook the winch strap to. I wrap it under the aka brace, around the mast well, and back under the aka brace on the opposite side. The loops at the ends of the tree strap then meet right above the front hatch. Much better to pull by the aka brace than the front padeye.

AI_Tom, this is an excellent idea, thank you! I was concerned about the strength of the TI's padeye on the bow. 'Really appreciate the tip. This is a "strategically ignorant" question (and most likely a stupid one) but by 'tree strap', do you mean the straps 4x4 off-roaders use for recovery/towing? And, if so, what length and width have you been using?

I was going to ask my dealer this, but what do you also use as a bow line for guiding and securing the boat while the boat is off the trailer?

On the subject of bunks, while reading through the various comments on this string and others, I have become a bit confused as to the optimal diameter of the PVC pipe to use for the bunks. It seems like 2" makes it fairly easy to drill the mounting holes but a smaller diameter may reduce the risk of distortion to the hulls. I'm not clear yet on the best technique for securing the smaller PVC to the braces. Unless there is a strong argument for going smaller than 2 inches, I think I will use the 2" pipes.

Finally, I'm close to ordering the Trailex SUT-350S as it looks a bit longer at 18'6" than the Hobie version at 15'6", thinking the longer trailer will provide better support for the boat, especially when I need to store it. Plus I can save some money it seems by ordering it directly. I would love to hear the community's thoughts or where to look for discussion of this topic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I prefer the SkyWinch - greenfieldproducts.com I purchased my thru Walmart. Go to greenfield products and watch their video. It uses 1/2" line, but it is not stored on the winch drum. No more dragging 20+ ft of webbing to the bow while the winch handle is rotating at break neck speed. You also don't have to slowly crank the winch handle (geared) to take up slack before belore the webbing's taunt. Install a carabiner on one end of 1/2" line, clip it to the bow, walk the line back to the winch, take up the slack (if any) insert line and begin winching.

The Trailex winch post and cap is WPWCO and suitable for SUT-200-S, SUT-250-S and SUT-350-S. My Trailex is the SUT-450-96 and the winch post and cap work fine.

After the boat's in the water, you still have 20+ft of 1/2" to use as a tag line.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, you are correct about the off-road tree recovery strap. I don't remember what dimensions. I think it's 4" thick by 5 or 6' long. You can measure the length you will need by measuring the length of the aka brace from outside edges of the aka brace clamps plus the distance from the clamp to the middle of the hatch (x2). It's a triangle so just add up the sides and give yourself a little extra.

As for a bowline I haven't used one yet. After unloading from the trailer I normally just beach the TI on the ramp while I park.

I would just go with 2" PVC.

Go with the longer trailer. You need the length for the TI and to give yourself room in front of the bow for a winch tower and a trailer jack.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looking for advice on setting up this TI trailer. The trailer had Hobie cradles, which had broken (they were installed by the dealer--according to the owner I purchased the trailer from).

My plan is to set it up with 1-1/4 in PVC runners, with wood dowl slip-lined inside. As this is for my daughter's family who has a small car; I need to put as much of the TI equipment on the trailer. I have lined up a plan with the haka spine boards and the Hobie dolly to attach as shown in the pict. The other TI equipment can be carried in the TI.

The PVC runners to hold the TI; the haka boards to support the AMAs; The carpeted 2 x 4 boards supporting the PVC to support the dolly.

So far, I see the dolly wheels obscure the trailer lights; so either need to remove the wheels or move the lights.

I think the spine boards will lift out when either the AMAs are pulled out or the TI is off the trailer. I'll hold down the spine boards with three 2 ft long cinch straps -- which is the same way I attach them to the AMAs.

The dolly setup is similar to my trailer (in the background), so, once the TI is slid back so that the scupper holes line up with the dolly (where it balances), the dolly can be strapped to the TI and rolled off from there. The cinch straps attached to the dolly loop through the trailer, to hold it in place when underway.

The PVC are 10 ft long, but I can extend them up to about 15 ft, if needed. I thought that I would attached the PVC to the runner boards by running stainless lag screws up through the bottom of the runner boards, through the PVC and set into the wooden dowl core.

The 10 ft long runner board are supported in two places: 2 ft from the rear and 6 ft from the rear.

Any suggestions/warnings?

Last edited by itiming on Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When trailering, if any of the plastic components rub against one another, they will eventually form scratches.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

pro10is wrote:
When trailering, if any of the plastic components rub against one another, they will eventually form scratches.

Thanks for the tip - yes, that was a large issue with the existing trailer, once the cradles broke. I added coroplast below the spine boards and will add larger foam pads between/under the AMAs, to prevent chaffing.

Have the trailer roughed out now:
Added wood structure to support the deck:

Added a coroplast deck:

Added the spine board storage/deck: (need to add a front eye-bolt for a front spine board tie-down):

Roughly ready to launch: