Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am thinking of transportation for the TI and this looks good. Folks have mention the RHINO RACK - T-LOAD Kayak Carrier but has anyone used it? Have pics? Pros con? Thanks for any thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPc7_spouC8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use this and find it fairly easy to load solo on the lowest setting. I am a young, thin but muscular male. It also distributes the load over 3 roof bars rather than 2, allowing me to go beyond my roof rack capacity on my vehicle by allowing the hitch to absorb some of the load. You don't have to worry about requiring trailer parking at your launch/landing site. Cartopping is significant work and typically takes about 30-45 minutes with strapping down time. You don't have to worry about registering a trailer or buying tail lights/wiring on a trailer. The T-loader is a reasonable price compared to buying a trailer. I had my hitch installed by U-haul for not too much. Be cognizant of your model's weight. I own a Tandem Island 2016 and the hull weight has gone up significantly compared to prior year models. No major complaints. I purchased the Rhino rack T-loader lock so that it is more difficult for the average joe to steal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Frond, thanks for the reply. We have a jeep with a cage rack on it so it can take the weight. I was worried about the height but the t-loader seems like it'd help with that. I'm definitely not excited about a trailer option with cost, storage, registering, etc as you've mentioned. We live only 5 minutes from the boat ramp so I'm hoping this might work but now I'm concerned about the 30-45 minutes to tie it down? Since we're so close and wouldn't get over 30mph and the extra support of the t-loader I figured it wouldn't take that long to load and unload. Quick load and unload is the biggest positive for a trailer in my eyes. If it's a pain to get it to the river it won't get used as much.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is a very personal decision. I take my Hobie Tandem Island out every weekend, but I don't sweat the work in setting it up from scratch. However, I tend to stay out for 5+ hours and often go off-shore to make this worth it. I can't afford a trailer nor do I have any storage space for the trailer. However, if you want an easy drop into the water and 5 minute setup, go with the trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Agreed no trailer lights snnafus or annual reg fees. Does add 40 min each way to lload and you need a good amount of strength to push-pull it up and over my head then a step ladder for strapping

i loaded without the rhino bar and with. wth is much better. I still ise the rhono bar for car topping a single kayak

Now use trailer fpr TI. The lights have faild 3times. Not fun. No more submersion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Jeep JK Unlimited thats been lifted 2 inches and has a Gobi rack. The Rhino T rack is a huge help in getting our TI on the roof. Without it I couldn't load it by myself. However it's still a pain and takes a fair amount of time to get everything strapped down. So we ended up getting a trailer which is so much easier to deal with, but I still need to put the TI on the roof when the Jeep is towed by our motor home.
I should warn you however if you are planning to use the Rhino rack as a third point of support I found it made it to high to comfortably lift the front of the TI up onto it, even with the tilt feature. You can of course loosen the height adjuster bolt and reset it every time but that's just more time taken up.
Bottom line is a trailer is the way to go unless you really don't have a choice. I bought a Load rite double kayak trailer took off the bars that it came with and had an aluminum frame custom welded so I can carry additional kayaks plus I mounted a truck box on it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've used the T-Loader with my TI on a Kia Sorento for a year and a half, and it works fine. Getting the kayak on and off is pretty straight-forward, but it takes some strength to lift it. The whole process takes me about 45 minutes. I have 2 sets of racks. The first is the factory rack system made for the Sorento. I put these large, square, grey foam pads that are about 4" wide on these racks. I also have a pair of Yakima racks with kayak saddles. Most of the weight is on the foam pads, but the saddles take some of the weight and stabilize the kayak from moving around. I have 2 heavy duty, 1" straps attached to the Yakima racks, a rope from the bow to under the front bumper, and strap the back of the kayak to the T-Loader. The amas just fit on the sides and the mast is strapped on top the kayak. I've driven from Southern California to Boise Idaho with this set up 4 times now at freeway speeds no problem.

I have some pictures, but not sure how to attach them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

when I was doing it this way, I had a length of sail cord fixed at the distance of the kayak for two purposes. first when loading by myself, it provided tension to hold the boat while I lifted the bow on to the lowered T bar. Think of a right triangle. The boat is the angle and the rope that was clipped to the bumper at one end, was clipped to the back of the boat at the other, is the base of the triangle. Once the boat was on the T bar, I could casually go to the back and push the kayak forward, till I HAD to lift it up. Nearly half of the boat was at the T bar, so there was far less weight to lift over my head and walk/slide the boat on the roof racks. The rope acted in the same way on UNLOADING, provided tension when extended. The length of the rope is set so that there is a FOOT of bow OVER the T BAR when the rope is tight. I also added removable wheels to the rear of the boat, so that I could ROLL the boat instead of caring it, until I had a lot more of the boats mass over the T bar. The point was I didn't want to take the weight of the boat until I absolutely had to.

Oh one addition, I would strap the mast to the x-bars on the kayak.

I loaded the boat by myself. Set up and strapping took about 1 hour and 15 minutes. I also had the Hobie TI cradles on wood that rested on the top of my Suburban and I used WAREHOUSE sized Velcro straps to the factory luggage rack. I usually removed the cradles and locked them in the car. Tied the boat down with 1 inch straps much the same way I tie the boat to the trailer, one each inside the mirage well, used front and rear straps to keep the boat from twisting sideways.

I use the same strapping strategy and load up with the T BAR for my Outback. The only difference is I use the idea from another board member. He used a used Go-Cart tire as a stern cushion, when the bow of the boat gets pushed up on the t bar, the end (Stern) rests on the inside of the tire (air) and the weight is on the tire itself. I have a go-cart franchise near me. In the back they had several discarded tires. Love the repurposing. I also went with PVC pipes as cradles on top of my truck, very easy to load/unload the boat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's my thoughts....

No, it's so much bloody work getting the TI onto the roof, especially single handed. I used my T loader only once, and thought this is ridiculous and never again. At such high risk of damaging your car plus all the salt water dribbling down.

I went from this

It took ~20 minutes to get onto the roof and longer to get off and assemble. Also the overhand was too long for my vehicle to be legal in Australia.

Within a month I found this on ebay:

Had some welders add second layer and then I painted it with hammertone:

It takes 2 minutes to get off the trailer and on the trailer. I don't dunk my trailer, I simply drag on/off. I sold all my Rhino Rack Kayak bits on ebay to the next poor sucker (mind you it probably suits a single small hull kayak very well).

I understand the attraction to not having a trailer, I have no storage for one and have to pay for a local facility to store my TI and trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been using my Rhino Rack since I purchased my TI. It makes it possible for me to cartop my TI solo. It was a condition of my being able to purchase my TI (long story). I load my TI on top of a Toyota Sequoia and I'm 5'-7", so any mechanical advantage is welcome.

I've been loading & unloading my TI with the assistance of the Rhino and have a few comments:
1. The rubber mat that came with the rack was left in a parking lot the first time I used it. I am considering adding a rubber or plastic bumper to the tail of my TI, because it does get scratched up. My dealer suggested bungee-ing a piece of carpet, dense foam, or other material around the back of the kayak during loading & unloading . . . I may try that. Although drilling a couple of holes and attaching a bumper would be easier, in the long run. Up till now, I've just used some Gorilla tape and built up a 1/4" thick bumper at the tail of the TI. It lasts 3-4 trips.
2. Lifting the front end is the only time I get a little nervous, because the bow of a TI is very smooth and difficult to get a good grasp. I did read a previous post about triangulating a rope, which I've thought about and will now try. his suggestion of removable wheels on the back is also a great idea.
3. I use the Hobie TI cradles and have them attached to my Thule square bar rack. They work great & I just leave them attached & remove the entire bar set-up when I'm done (the bars create wind noise). The cradles have room for the Amas, so I don't have to stack them on top of the TI.
4. To help slide the kayak to the front of the cradles, I attach a bow line, before loading, and just pull it forward.
5. To help feed the straps under the sail (I didn't like the idea of cranking down the straps OVER the sail), I tie the loose end of the strap to a length of PVC pipe and pass it under the sail. It works great & I don't have to worry about throwing the buckle over the yak and hitting the windows.

Loading & unloading the TI solo does turn heads. People have offered to help, but frankly, they get in the way and disrupt the routine. Which we all know can lead to forgetting something. It takes me less than 15 minutes to load & secure the kayak, with most of the time spent moving the step ladder & securing straps.

It works & looks cool too!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will be purchasing a Hobie in the next month or so and need the ability to car top it by myself. I would like to purchase the Rhino Rack T-Loader but I am having issues locating a vendor. It's not listed on Rhino Rack's website. Can any of you point me in the right direction? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For those looking, the Rhino T Loader has unfortunately been discontinued! Bummer, as it was an excellent loader for tall SUV’s! ☹️

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The T Load is still being sold , unfortunately due to the covid it’s been on back order from Australia. They are expected to be available again this Spring.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't think you need one.... I use 2 straps on each side wrapped around the ends of my Yakima crossbars.... set the hull perpendicular to the drivers door.... lift on to the double straps.... pick up the rear handle and slide it up and in to position..... easy pleeze.... I'm 60 y/o.

I had a T loader on order for several weeks before they cancelled the order, so they are definitely scarce, new or used.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've used the T-Loader for about 6 years with my TI (as well as AI and canoes, and even occasional lumber etc.) and absolutely love the option of foregoing the trailer!
My Toyota Highlander typically ends up being the boatmobile, and even though it has a fairly substantial roofline/ usable length of roof rails for a midsize SUV, it certainly helps to have the added support and stability of a 3rd load bar as well. I generally use my 80" Yakima "CoreBars" to ensure plenty of rooftop realestate with a pair of schedule 80 PVC bunk racks mounted down the center (via MightyMount 39H adapters) for the TI, with Yakima "JayLow" cradles on the sides (for the amas, mast, and occasionally additional boats), and haven't had any issues with load shifting or otherwise even at highway speeds in in heavy crosswinds. For nearby launches and the occasional evening 'pedal-paddle' with just the center hull, I may only use crossbar pads if the PVC bunk racks were removed from carrying something else, but I would strongly recommend making some if your TI will be loaded for any significant time/ distance as it alleviates any risk of hull deformation, and also makes loading/unloading much smoother.

If I already have the racks and loader installed on the vehicle, it typically only takes me about 10-15mins to load and secure the TI/ accessories from my garage, and 15-20mins to unload and assemble for sailing at the launch point (and another 15ish to break-down and re-load/ secure after sailing) solo. If my wife or a particularly helpful friend is assisting we can easily shave >5 minutes off each evolution, but some things just need to be done in sequential order. Experience and experimentation through the decades certainly helps with dialing-in the tie-down configuration and wind noise mitigation..

I do have a trailer as well but only occasionally use it (typically in cases where I'm taking more than a couple of kayaks out). I haven't dedicated any garage spaces to a pre-loaded trailer, but could easily see that being the best option for someone who consistently used their entire TI rig at easily accessible boat ramps, and wanted the ability to keep it loaded in the cradles for minimal effort between storage and transportation. As it is, I definitely enjoy the flexibility for limited access launches as well as not having to deal with finding trailer parking (especially for any post-adventure brewery pitstops or otherwise), and personally find it worth the (assisted) lift and minimal investment for at least 80% of my outings!

I hope that helps,