Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have any experience with North Woods Sports Trailers? URL: https://www.northwoodssporttrailers.com ... ilers.html

I am considering one similar to the HBTI51-13-BRIDGE-RFBSKT with cradles that is shown on their Hobie page. I haven't looked at these in person but from the photos, they look well built and seem to have great options.

Or do you have recommendations for other Hobie TI compatible trailers that would be durable as we travel across the Western US sailing in Colorado, Utah, Idaho, California, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, etc. We expect to put lots of highway and mountain miles on the trailer.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide. Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I purchased my TI from a dealer in Portland OR and I also purchased a trailer from them. They are modifying a King trailers KB1150 with the Hobie cradles. It is a galvanized bunk trailer made for small boats. It has worked well so far, easy launching and loading. Looks pretty similar to those Northwood trailers. I had also looked at an EZ Loader and modifying it myself with the cradles, but the one from the dealer came out to about the same with much less effort on my part.

I also considered the Aluminum hobie trailers, but I liked the larger wheels of the standard boat trailers, and they came out cheaper. Unless you really need the light weight of the Hobie trailer, modifying a standard galv. boat trailer seems like a good option.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Having watched a friend launch and retrieve his AI from a trailer fitted with fore-and-aft PVC bunks, I would fit these instead of the Hobie cradles, as they not only provide more support, they enable the hull to relatively glide on and off the trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with Tony, the pvc pipe bunks are way better and way cheaper, (about $10 bucks).
The best aspects are:
Way easier to slide the boat on and off the trailer.
The boat can be stored indefinately on the trailer with no damage, Our TI's lived on the trailer fully rigged in our hot florida garage (120 plus) for many years with no issues.
The best aspect is you can easily also use your trailer as a launch cart. What we do is slide the boat back on the bunks so it is balanced over the wheels, add one strap to hold the boat, then you can easily pick up the front, (we even added a carry handle to ours). The boat and trailer rolls incredibly easy, (even over sand) because of the wheel bearings and the big hard tires. Heck we even pull our boat/trailer with a bike or our buddy 150 scooter. You can't do any of that with the hobie cradles easily.
The pvc bunks self guide the boat onto the trailer in cross winds.
We bought a cheap winch at harbor freight, make it way easier to pull the boat up on steep boat ramps.
All just my experience and opinion.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fusioneng wrote:
I agree with Tony, the pvc pipe bunks are way better and way cheaper, (about $10 bucks).
The best aspects are:
Way easier to slide the boat on and off the trailer.
The boat can be stored indefinately on the trailer with no damage, Our TI's lived on the trailer fully rigged in our hot florida garage (120 plus) for many years with no issues.
The best aspect is you can easily also use your trailer as a launch cart. What we do is slide the boat back on the bunks so it is balanced over the wheels, add one strap to hold the boat, then you can easily pick up the front, (we even added a carry handle to ours). The boat and trailer rolls incredibly easy, (even over sand) because of the wheel bearings and the big hard tires. Heck we even pull our boat/trailer with a bike or our buddy 150 scooter. You can't do any of that with the hobie cradles easily.
The pvc bunks self guide the boat onto the trailer in cross winds.
We bought a cheap winch at harbor freight, make it way easier to pull the boat up on steep boat ramps.
All just my experience and opinion.
FE
I have one and love it, they're very well made. I have hobie cradles and used them for over a year, now I use pipe bunks they're so much better they're the way to go.Image

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I see from the pictures how the PVC pipe can hold the main hull but what supports the amas during transport?