Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cover with amas out
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All

I keep my TI on a floating dock in Florida and am looking for way to easily cover it. I am able to keep the amas out and the boat fully rigged.

I have tried a tarp but it gets blown around and sags into the water and turns gross.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Cover with amas out
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We store our RV at a place here in FL, each RV is stored in a frame, ( not pvc, galvanized steel, the things are huge, mostly big diesel pushers in there), that is covered with some kind of screen/tarp material, wind passes right thru, and only a small portion of rain, the stuff is blue, some kinda special tarp material I’m guessin. It survived hurricane Irma.
I would think if you made a pvc frame with the legs buried in the sand a few ft deep around the floating doc then cover with that blue fabric it might work nicely. The legs buried in the sand would be steel, then the PVC dropped over the legs.
Keeping the sun off is the key, you can’t leave the mast in anyway.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you have hakas or tramps on that prevent easy folding of the amas even on the dock? otherwise they do fold easily when the hull is resting on a solid surface, and its a much smaller, easier package to deal with folded up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yes I have tramps and a spinnaker rigged. I firmly the believe the easier a boat is to get on and off the water the more I will use it. Boat also hangs off the floating dock on one side and the stern. So access is not the easiest

The tandem is a fun sailing boat for the lazy sailor, that is me. I want to go fat but don't want to work to do it.

Bought a 11'4 by 15' tarp and bungee cords from Harbor Freight today. The 3 bows line up pretty close so the front of the tarp fit well. Stern not sure about. Tried to bungee the extra tarp material. Will wait a couple of days to see how well it stays on.

I thought this tarp would be to small. All i was trying to do was cover up the cockpit and tramps. Way bigger than i wanted.

i also store with the seats in and open with a pvc pipe running between the seats to prevent water build up.