Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fantastic idea...or not?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey folks,

I'm very new the the kayaking world; in fact, I'm here because I don't have any experience hauling/launching/retrieving kayaks. I do have experience with utility trailers, normal boats/trailers (from my early 90's Florida days) and can weld MIG steel and AL. So here goes some ideas I have, from your experience do they seem founded to you?

I just bought a 2012 14' PA and a 2008 13' Revo. I have a 5X10 utility trailer that has simple 2" angle iron sides/front that's about 2' high. The kayaks are currently sitting on the trailer supported by 3 2X6 planks resting across the trailer. I don't want to make my trailer a permanent kayaking hauling machine. This seems like a fair idea, but in order to make it worth the while I feel I need to make a kayak chassis that is removable with the ability to jack stand each corner. Having something like this would enable me to detach the main assembly that has the pvc bunks attached and then place stands at each corner stick-out (idea is to use 3.5" square steel tubing and have the 3 cross members open on the sides, then I can use 2' sections of 3" square as extensions to insert and use to support on a custom stand). Once lifted a few inches I could simply pull my trailer out of the garage, leaving the kayaks rest where they normally rest, minus the trailer. Has anyone done this? Seem like a good idea?

Going another step further and this one really takes some expereince to know if it's worth it. The rear cross member can be hinged so that the front could be lifted, raising the kayaks at a slight angle (to help in launching). From all I've read and actual first hand experience lifting the PA I think the best way is to try at all costs to simply launch this thing like a regular boat. Only problem is I don't have a boat or jetski trailer. Also, mainly for the PA, if I used once size larger bunks I feel I could insert smaller pvc pipes into the main bunks and join them with 90 elbows and a short 1 footish cross piece. I could then raise the front of the whole rack about 15 degrees, then pull out the ~8 foot extension bunks and apply a support to it similar to the video below and just slide the PA gently down off it's normal bunks, onto the pull-out extension bunks and finally into the water. Make sense? I know how do I lift the front? That can be done with a wench and pulley system. Question is if that's worth the trouble to make such chassis to do this?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, it should work. I made a similar system using a ladder rack in my truck. Haven't finished it yet, but it is based on an old aluminum ladder. One part is fixed on the front rack crossbar, the other part of the ladder has PVC pipe screwed to the rungs. The concept worked in test, I could pivot the ladder and lower the boat to the ground. With a pulley system I could also pull the boat onto the rack and then raise the whole thing.
Didn't finish it, this is if we travel and can't pull the boat trailer. But when that situation occurs I know the hobie can be carried and launched from the rack.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

Nice work!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Nice work!

I just want to make it clear to viewers that the video I attached is not me nor my idea. See my idea is to build a removable and "tiltable" chassis. The removable part is good because I can put it on stands in my garage after detaching and remove my trailer for normal utility work. The "tiltable" part will aid in launching since my trailer is not a boat trailer. Make sense?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

And it's done...well, all but actually going to a launch ramp and trying it out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice work !

Chris