Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Getting ready for the big trip to Florida next week. Hobie on the roof, trikes in the back of the truck and camper on the hitch. My question is do I need an extra strap on the boat? See the black line on the photo. I have 3 orange HF straps, going from the rack crossbars across the boat. But I am wondering if a fourth one up front is needed due to wind loads from the drive. Not planning to go over 65, but that is still some force on the hull. There is a ladder under the boat, with PVC tubes to support the hull. Big PVC tube in front is mast/sail holder.

OK fail at the photo, will keep trying. In the meantime:
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... -0fW-qgYeT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can't see your photo, use Imgur for free photo sharing.

If in any way questionable, it's always better to simply go with another strap rather than take a chance. I probably use several more straps than necessary to hold down my TI to its trailer, but I've never had any problems. Better safe than sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Grab the bow and forcibly wiggle it. If the car moves/leans with the boat, you are great. if the car moves half as much as the boat, you are probably good. If the car doesn't move, add more straps. Without knowing the spacing between your roof cross rails, or the strap tension I can't tell if your setup is good. What I can tell you is that bow straps add a lot of stability. Additionally if a bow strap comes a little loose you will notice your boat bobbing around a little. If all you have is straps in the middle you will notice they are loose when the boat falls off.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:39 am 
Site Admin

A strap through the drive well to lock the hull to the rack even without a lot of tension for security. A bow-line to the bumper to reduce lift. Stop and check often.

Too much tension can dent the hull, so caution.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks to all, looks like I will add one more strap just to be safe. Other things I learned, the rudder needs support to keep it from wagging around in the wind. I will make up some sort of brace to keep it in the straight ahead position and eliminate strain on the rudder system. 1100 miles of interstate at 65 will put more strain on it than any sailing experience. As it turns out the movement of the boat is not the boat on the rack it is the ladder one the rack. There is a pivot on the center crossbar and a little slop left to right is there. I will tighten up the brackets but apparently the ladder is moving on the rack the boat is tight on the ladder.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also, make sure to eliminate any and all sources of scratching. Even minor scratching significantly mars the TI hull after enough time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I transport my Tandem Oasis on the roof racks on the highway most times I use it.
I have 1 strap at each roof rack crossbar going over the hull and a light rope at the front to prevent lift. It's never moved an inch in transport.