Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am searching for an efficient hoist system to store my Tandem Island when arriving with my cherokee with the TI in the racks. I want to store most of the time the TI up there.
In other idea, does anyone has a good diagram to build a trailer for the Tandem Island?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's hard to find a hoist that can handle the weight of the TI. Most kayak hoists have a weight limit of around 150 lbs. I first used this hoist. While it worked, the TI was clearly too heavy for it. After a couple of years, one of the straps broke while I was lowering the TI. Fortunately, no damage occurred.

I then switched to a pair of these hoists. They're rated for 600 pounds each. You need to come up with your own straps but straps can be found online. This is what I currently use and it works much better.

Hopefully, someone here can source a kayak hoist that can handle the weight of the TI, but I couldn't find one.

There are several designs for TI trailers here. Most use a small boat trailer with PVC bunks. Search the forum and you'll find descriptions and photos.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You might want to consider a modification of my ladder rack system. I put PVC pipes on an aluminum ladder, it is hinged on a ladder rack on my truck. It can pivot for loading and unloading but this feature is not useful for you. It might make the hoist system easier though, with a pulley setup the whole ladder/boat combination could be lifted off the car. A ladder with PVC is great for hull support, and a flexible storage base. Off season the ladder sits on a shelf in the garage with the boat on top.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use the harken hoister, and it works great. There are different sizes.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The highest capacity Harken Hoister, the 7806 is rated for 200 lbs max. The TI weighs 240 lb empty. This is above the maximum rated load.

However, if you remove the amas before hoisting, you should be ok.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been using the Harken Hoister for the hull only. Suspended with two 4" wide straps. Zero issues (Works great)

As much as I would like to hoist hull & Amas "rigged up"- I figured it just wasn't worth the Risk (on the boat or ceiling)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased this lift (Racor - PHL-R, Garage Ceiling Storage Rack Lift) from Amazon. Currently going for $250, but it was $160 when I bought it 2 years ago. I didn't install the wire shelf part.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009I8AO6/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_image_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's rated for 250 pounds.

Had it in the last house for a year, and would back the station wagon right up to it in the garage, lower the lift, slide/lift it on, and crank it back up.

I just put it back up in our new place last week and added a 2x4 over each metal cross bar of the lift to give the TI a little more surface area to rest on. Each arm of the lift is secured with lag bolts to a 2x4, which is secured by lag bolts to 4 separate beams in the ceiling of the garage. I'm confident it will stay put.

Current project is a trailer. I got a 5x8 trailer with no bed at Norther Tool. Will be getting a longer tongue and adding a winch, rollers, bumper, tongue dolly and bunks (PVC seems to be what folks recommend). Desired end-state is to be able to lower it right onto the trailer and go!

-André