Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Car topping a TI
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the TI car-topped on a 2005 C-class Mercedes estate, and haven't discovered any problems. I've been driving in high winds, and on bad/bumpy roads (like, really bad).
I have the cheapest roof rack that can take 100kg, and I've padded it with some foamy pipes. Next year there will be long trips with the car. I'm planning on making somekind of support back on the tow hitch, like the Rhino T-bar. But honestly, it does not feel like I need it. If it should matter, it's pretty cold all year where I live.

Also, here in Norway it's actually a nice thing not having a trailer for the TI. I park in small places, there's narrow sheep-roads down to the sea and almost no concrete ramps.

I've read all the warnings against car-topping here on the forum. I don't have space for a trailer.

Raising the kayak up/down might be problematic. It depends on your strength.
After using the TI for a few months I would say; if you can pull the TI fully mounted up from the shore, then you also have the strength to car-top it.

I do it almost like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R30vRBo67i8

Let's see if I can post a pic...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom: yikes - that looks kinda scary. The distance between those crossbars, vs the length and weight of the load...looks very no bueno. At least get a hitch put on and use a T-bar to get a third place of support (and more importantly, widen the space between the supports)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Scscma: Yeah, it looks weird. Makes the car look small.
I can't widen the space between the supports, other than creating a cradle of some sort. That will increase the weight, and I will be breaking the law. But that was one of my concerns, until I tested it.
You can't buy the T-bar here in Norway.
The kayak sits tight. It's easy and fast to set up. And under the weight limit.
On Facebook, I got tips on putting lines from the ends of the boat, down to the car. I'll look into it and use it until I get the DIY T-bar made.

One other thing I was wondering about. When car-topping or using a trailer - what is the speed you are driving? I drive carefullu when I have the boat or other stuff on the roof.

If I drive fast and hit a crack/hole in the road, the boat might get damaged. So I don't do that.

Check out this guy from Finland. At the end of the video he is car-topping the boat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RN6r1NTywc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One thing we did that really helped, was to use 1.5” dia closet poles, (wood). The same type that you would put into a cloths closet to hang clothes, (probably available at Ikea and other places worldwide I would assume).
The ones we have are around 8-10 ft long, (we got them at home depot in us).
Just place the boat on the roof then slide the poles under the boat so they fit in the little grooves on 11” centers running the length of the boat. I you have a newer hull just notch one of the poles where the automatic drain goes.
Once in place strap the boat down securely. They prevent the hull from caving in even in the hot florida sun. We kept our boat strapped on the roof for sometimes weeks at a time with no issues, ( of course we had several cable locks securing the boat to the roof racks, but to be honest I simply can’t imagine a couple teenagers Running thru neighborhoods with a 300 lb boat on their heads, (‘built in anti theft Theft devise’, (lol the extreme weight and size)).
BTW that’s a very good reason for registering your boat with DMV, so it is traceable, and insurable (our insurance agent insisted we register the boat, we had it insured for $10k). If stolen that’s same as grand theft auto, not the same as kids stealing a $100 dollar kayak off your roof, where nobody is even going to look for it, ( thieves know all this).
I would definately have bow and stern lines, I’ve seen many kayaks launched off of car roofs, typically racks and all, (Allmost everyone has kayaks in Florida)
Hope this helps
FE