Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

Recently purchased a second hand TI. I love it so far but looking to improve my launching experience.

I currently have about 75m/250ft to get the TI from my driveway to the water, including up a kerb and across some hard sand. I currently have the HD plug in cart at the back. It's fine over the ground I have to cover but it's just a little heavier than I would like over the distance, especially pulling back up the slope after landing. I don't want to do my back!

I've searched but not been able to find a simple solution like having a generic kayak trolley or something similar at the front, so I'm just pulling the weight rather than lifting. Has anyone done anything like this, or have another idea? Ideally I'd be able to pull with the TI rigged rather than making 3 x journeys with amas and mast etc, but that's not essential.

Any advice welcomed!

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Made the mistake a couple of times using the cart in the rear scupper holes, then wondered why everything was so heavy.

Definitely use the middle holes (located just in front of the rear pedals) - centre of balance is much better. I pretty much always move mine fully rigged and ready to go.

Reminded myself 3 days ago that it's ever better again if you swing the amas back to the boat while you're moving it this way, as having them fully extended puts more weight forward, swinging them back makes it more balanced again.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

haha, thank you, you've exposed my rookie knowledge of the boat! I did read the manual, promise!

I'll give that a go and hopefully make life a little easier.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

lorrypf wrote:
haha, thank you, you've exposed my rookie knowledge of the boat! I did read the manual, promise!

I'll give that a go and hopefully make life a little easier.

Thanks again

Hopefully it's something as simple as a rookie error! You won't cop any grief from anybody here admitting to stuff like that, we've all done it!

I'm sure there were at least 2 sessions of sailing where I forgot to cleat the rudder down, and wondered why it was so hard to steer...