Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I just got a new PA 14 360 for fishing. This Yak is much to big to hand load myself and carrying it to and from a trailer is out of the question. I realize you can do a lot with the wheel sets and leverage, but I want the ability to load and launch like a jet skI or boat, using the hand winch and the trailer partially submerged on the boat ramp.

In order to do this I would think I need 2 fixed runners or bunks for the yak to run on, again same as a jet ski. I see on youtube where many use 3" schedule 40 PVC pipe. But in looking at the hull design of the PA 14 it looks like 2" might be a better fit. Also I thought I would fasten the PVC to small angle iron tabs with a pipe clamp.

Anyone here built a similar setup to haul their yak? And care to share thoughts and experiences in this sort of setup?? Size of PVC? PVC mounts to the trailer?? Flexable enough to not damage the hull?? Tie down??

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Only fasten the PVC at the far ends. The middle needs to flex/sag to conform to the hull. Otherwise you can damage the hull.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Only fasten the PVC at the far ends. The middle needs to flex/sag to conform to the hull. Otherwise you can damage the hull.

I have seen that in Youtube vids. But I have a cross brace on the trailer frame at the mid point.

I did buy some 2" PVS Sch 40 wiring conduit today. But I had to fasten it on the ends and also in the middle frame brace. Has anyone actually damaged their
hull doing this??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom Kirkman wrote:

I have seen that in Youtube vids. But I have a cross brace on the trailer frame at the mid point.

I did buy some 2" PVS Sch 40 wiring conduit today. But I had to fasten it on the ends and also in the middle frame brace. Has anyone actually damaged their
hull doing this??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I installed my bunks horizontally at 67 inches (same as cradle install distance) and then attached my 2" PVC to them for my TI. To add extra support but stay flexible I have a ~ 1 x 1 wood strip ripped from a 2x4 inside each PVC which aided nicely in attaching to the bunks. Used a heat gun to soften the PVC and make indentations for the venturi drains which also work nicely for knowing you have the kayak in the correct spot as it clicks into place.

And this is the ultimate Kayak Trailer... :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My creation